• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Start up list.

james@office:~$ cat /proc/swaps
    Filename Type Size Used Priority
    /dev/hda6 partition 754984 0 -1
    james@office:~$

Yep, that looks like it. I have saved everything I want to keep, so now I will go to the other one and start the process. Sorta shaking in my boots a bit but have to say I am loving this!!!! You blokes are great, Thanks.

Comment

Ok, I had to go to boot menu to get it start from the disc, no worries. Only got to the point where it is asking me to put in video driver and resolution and none of the combinations worked. I tried to copy and paste the dialog but it didn't like that. I know its late but if you can help me move on from here that would be good. If not, see you in your morning. James.

Comment

ames@James:~$ sudo cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
        Password:
        # menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
        # grub-install(8), grub-floppy(8),
        # grub-md5-crypt, /usr/share/doc/grub
        # and /usr/share/doc/grub-doc/.

## default num
        # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
        # the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
        #
        # You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
        # is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
        # WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not change this entry to 'saved' or your
        # array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
        default 0

## timeout sec
        # Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry
        # (normally the first entry defined).
        timeout 10

## hiddenmenu
        # Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
        #hiddenmenu

# Pretty colours
        #color cyan/blue white/blue

## password ['--md5'] passwd
        # If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all interactive editing
        # control (menu entry editor and command-line) and entries protected by the
        # command 'lock'
        # e.g. password topsecret
        # password --md5 $1$gLhU0/$aW78kHK1QfV3P2b2znUoe/
        # password topsecret

#
        # examples
        #
        # title Windows 95/98/NT/2000
        # root (hd0,0)
        # makeactive
        # chainloader +1
        #
        # title Linux
        # root (hd0,1)
        # kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro
        #

#
        # Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
        ## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
        ## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

## ## Start Default Options ##
        ## default kernel options
        ## default kernel options for automagic boot options
        ## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
        ## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
        ## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
        ## kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro
        ## kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro
        # kopt=root=UUID=67e261b2-4697-4e33-9e22-16d15053be54 ro

## Setup crashdump menu entries
        ## e.g. crashdump=1
        # crashdump=0

## default grub root device
        ## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)
        # groot=(hd0,1)

## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options
        ## e.g. alternative=true
        ## alternative=false
        # alternative=true

## should update-grub lock alternative automagic boot options
        ## e.g. lockalternative=true
        ## lockalternative=false
        # lockalternative=false

## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
        ## alternatives
        ## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
        # defoptions=quiet splash

## should update-grub lock old automagic boot options
        ## e.g. lockold=false
        ## lockold=true
        # lockold=false

## Xen hypervisor options to use with the default Xen boot option
        # xenhopt=

## Xen Linux kernel options to use with the default Xen boot option
        # xenkopt=console=tty0

## altoption boot targets option
        ## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
        ## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
        ## altoptions=(recovery) single
        # altoptions=(recovery mode) single

## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
        ## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the
        ## alternative kernel options
        ## e.g. howmany=all
        ## howmany=7
        # howmany=all

## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option
        ## e.g. memtest86=true
        ## memtest86=false
        # memtest86=true

## should update-grub adjust the value of the default booted system
        ## can be true or false
        # updatedefaultentry=false

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=UUID=67e261b2-4697-4e33-9e22-16d15053be54 ro quiet splash
        initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic
        quiet
        savedefault

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic (recovery mode)
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=UUID=67e261b2-4697-4e33-9e22-16d15053be54 ro single
        initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=67e261b2-4697-4e33-9e22-16d15053be54 ro quiet splash
        initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic
        quiet
        savedefault

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic (recovery mode)
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=67e261b2-4697-4e33-9e22-16d15053be54 ro single
        initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic

title Ubuntu, memtest86+
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
        quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
        # ones.
        title Other operating systems:
        root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
        # on /dev/hda1
        title Microsoft Windows XP Professional
        root (hd0,0)
        savedefault
        makeactive
        chainloader +1

james@James:~$
        Well that was pretty painless. Does this look like the ducks guts or what!!!

Comment

@James (wavemaker): I tend to agree with mike. I would copy evrything you need (docs, music, movies, settings, etc) on to a flash or cd/dvd then delete all the partitions pertaining to linux and start a fresh. This has four advantags:
          1) you get a fresh/clean linux

2) you can set up a separate /home for your settings. This is usefull if foe any reason you have to reinstall your linux ando /or you want to play with a second linux.

3) you can set up a separate data partition for all your stuff (data) so you can "share" between winxp and linux.

4)Deleting partitions can have a nasty side effect on your fstab and /grub/boot/menu.lst. It is called changing UUID'S which is a real pain and to be avoided if at all possible. I had to learn the hard way

I mean if you are going to delete partitions you might as well learn how to create them at the same time. Sort of ying and yang

I wrote a sort of how-to for this on a different post. Here is an exerpt:

As a rule I always have my data separate from my OS partition.

So, if you don't have this setup already and have room on your HD(s)
          I would suggest you do that first.

Then just copy your data from "my documents" (or whatever) in winxp into that new partition.

I have a separate Data partition formated in fat32 for this purpose.
          Fat32 is easier for linux (windows reads that anyway) although ntfs works as well with a few tweaks.

There is a great tool with lots of worthwhile info on partitioning for this here:
          http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

With gparted you can setup the following partitions:
          /data (as large as you can and need to, format as fat32)

/home (about 3-7 GB, format as ext3) this is for your personal (user) configurations and it is a good idea to have it separate as well.

/swap (about 1 GB, more is a waste)

/ (4-8 GB, format as ext3) this is for your Linux installation

Write down the positions (hda1, hda2, etc) where which partition is being created.
          as an example:
          /data=hda5
          /home=hda6
          /swap=hda7
          /=hda8

Caution: when in gparted do these steps one after another. Takes a bit longer but success is guarantied.

Now when you do the installation from the live cd and after choosing languages, etc. choose manual partitioning and select the partitions you made above (right click->edit) and choose the one you made for data, mount it as /data, the one you chose for /home, mount and format it as /home, the one for swap mount and format as /swap and mount and format the partiton you chose as / as /.

Do not format /data if there is anything on it!!!

Note: You will probably see your partitions named : /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, etc. Don't let that phase you. It is just kubuntu's way of saying the same thing. For kubuntu hda1 is sda1.

From the there on the installation is automatic.

Another idea would be to download the alternate cd just as a fall back as the live install can sometimes be a bit capricious.

There is plenty of documentation on installing with the alternate cd.
          Here is a good place to start:
          https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/I386
          I hope this is usefull and enjoy
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hi Fintan, Thank you for your interest and help. I did use the gparted cd to delete all my linux installations, if you look at the log in my last post you can see all the ones below the Windows XP line are gone. Reinstalled Kubuntu and now all seems to be going well. However I will go through what you have posted and educate myself some more. Just have to knock off and have a beer now. See ya soon! James.

Comment

wavemaker, I'm so glad you nuked the whole drive and started over. I was also thinking about what Fintan said that you can now easily have some other Linux distro added to your drive; or, as I do, an “experimental” instance of Kubuntu where you can goof around and not worry about damaging your “main” install.
              AND importantly, Fintan's note about the UUIDs – oh man – good catch! I know you are trying to learn stuff, but that's not the best way to learn about those pesky, bothersome UUIDs!

Sorry about last night. I crashed (after being up since 2 am the previous morning doing this kind of stuff plus work). It looks like you've done it very well! Congratulations!

When it's up and good, that's the time to document everything in a file, save a copy to you backup media (CD, DVD, thumb drive) and print that file the old-fashioned way (you know, on paper), to include:
              your current layout of partitions and what's on them (the sudo fdisk -lu output along with any of your personal notes);
              your current working /boot/grub/menu.lst;
              your filesystem table, called /etc/fstab (showing those UUIDs);

So now then, you've got GParted Live CD on hand, Super Grub Disk on hand, your Kubuntu install Live CD on hand (which you can use to get into your files in an emergency and even do GRUB work), and maybe then print out the How-To I wrote (mainly the main page and maybe the second post):
              How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
              (scroll down the posts for more topics)
              A classic for Linux, GRUB, and dual-booting is Herman's bigpond:
              http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/
              (see the GRUB page and other neat topics, like Mounting and the UUIDs, installing from the Alternate Cd, etc.)

Let us know how things are going here.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

gooday all. Quick question, is there something that does what Automatix did? Right now for instance I can't play youtube? James.

Comment

Personal suggestion, based on the many posts of users who used Automatix to their (later) regret: Stick with Adept Manager.

Given that you've performed a reinstallation, your are going to have to add/activate the restricted repositories and download various packages for proprietary drivers/codecs and such. That will also ensure that you can play DVDs, mp3 files, etc.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog thanks for that. As you can see I'm a total beginner at this. I actually don't know how to do a lot of this. So I actually need to know what I am looking for before I can go cruising around looking for it, if you know what I mean. Sorry to sound so dumb, I know what I mean.

Comment

Yeah, maybe psychocats has something on what Snowhog is saying:

Psychocats: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

or Ubuntu support would have stuff on the repositories and such. It's not difficult stuff, just details, sometimes just removing hash (#) marks!
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Look under Installing software and chase that link down to the end (repositories etc.).

Comment

Qqmike's comment on Psychocats is very apt: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php
                          There is A LOT of good info there, including info on adding/activating the restricted repositories.

As to DVD playback, see what I did to get full DVD playback here.
                          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks again. Busy till the weekend now. Keep you posted. James.

Comment

Working...
                            X