This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Start up list.

Qqmike, I did that and sure enough another Kubuntu opens. Strangely, it has work on it that I have done, so at some stage I have been in there and done stuff. There is nothing in there I need so I would like to get rid of it if I can. Dont need all that extra stuff on the hard drive. I have to go to work now but will check in later on this arvo. Thanks again.

Comment

We have to figure out if and which Linux kernels (vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic or vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic) are on hda2 and hda4. Where is the "good" Linux kernel you want to keep, and where is the old one you want to delete? Be patient here. This is a bit muddy and we want to go easy and not mess up. Besides, you are getting to learn some stuff here (as I am, too!).

Please try this:

Again get into your “good” Kubuntu as you always do.
      Open Konsole (K-menu > System > Konsole).
      Type
      sudo grub
      and press Enter to get a grub> prompt.
      Then:
      grub> find /vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic
      and press Enter and write down what comes back ((hdx,y)).
      Again (note this is for -15 whereas the above was for -16):
      grub> find /vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic
      and press Enter and write down what comes back.
      Then post the results to each command.
      (Note: There is a space after the command “find” in each case.)

- - - - -

Here's what you said

Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic
      Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic (recovery mode)
      Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic
      Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic (recovery mode)
      Ubuntu, memtest86+
      Other operating systems:
      Microsoft Windows XP Professional
      Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15 generic (on /dev/hda2)
      Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic (recovery mode) (on /dev/hda2)
      Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic (on /dev/hda2)
      Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic (on /dev/hda2)
      Ubuntu, memtest86+ (on /dev/hda2)

I see Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic, but I do not see a Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic.

Here's some more data to get and post the results back here:
      Get into your “good” Kubuntu (the one you have been using by default), and open Konsole and type
      cat /proc/version
      and press Enter and post the result.

Then get into this “other” Kubuntu you've found (above) and do the same and post that result.

(This command will return the Linux and gcc versions of the operating system you are using. Ig nore the gcc – that's the compiler version that was used to compile the kernel etc etc etc. We just want the part that says Linux version 2.6.20-X-generic, we want the “X” ).

- - - - -

What we're trying to do is to prepare for what to remove and what to keep. You do NOT want to lose any of your data. Your data is located in /home/your_name, correct? Make sure you have a backup of all your data (on both operating systems!). I'm not into formal backup methods as my friends are, so for me I'd just copy the data/photos/etc to other storage media, like CD-R, DVD+R, DVD+R/W, thumb drive, whatever, and do so at least in duplicates (like on two CD's or DVD's that came from different spindles, or DVD plus the thumb drive, or external hard drive, etc.).

FWIW, fyi: I just noticed something that raised a red flag. You are using Automatix? I've not used it, but I know one good Linux developer who advises people NOT to use it. Although it is convenient, and lots of people use it, he says it can really mess up your updates.

- - - - -

Looking ahead . . .

Since it looks like you are using two separate partitions for Linux kernels, one option is to simply delete the whole partition that you do not care to keep. We think this will be either hda2 or hda4.
      If so, you will get a copy of GParted Live CD – that's a (free) partition editor – and use it to delete the unused partition.
      GParted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
      GParted how-to: http://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted
      (You download the Live CD version and then burn it to a bootable CD using K3b.)

Then we have to clean up your menu.lst located at /boot/grub/menu.lst in the “good” Kubuntu that you are keeping. (So, you have to edit that file as root in that Kubuntu.)

One possible complication (and it may not happen) is that when you delete the unwanted partition, that might mess up the booting mechanism (GRUB). But if that happens, we can easily fix it using your Kubuntu Live CD. That's a subject called re-installing GRUB and involves just a few GRUB commands: root (hdx,y), setup (hd0), quit, that's it. We need to figure out what x and y are, and that will come out here soon. (If it comes to it, a common, easy tool is to use the find command again as follows: grub> find /boot/grub/stage1 and maybe grub> find /boot/grub/stage2. That gives you the (hdx,y) we would need in the root command.)

So, for now, I'll add these two references to be complete here, on the GRUB, the editing menu.lst, and the re-installing GRUB:

Bigpond, home: http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/
      (Go to the GRUB page shown in the Table of Contents. This is a classic reference by Herman.)

and one I wrote here at Kubuntu:
      How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

I will be checking in, but in case I get off schedule on my end, that's the rough sort of plan we should follow here, and several other guys here know this stuff as well as or better than I do and have read many of the same references on it, so there's plenty of help!

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Eff me swingin'. I'm going to bed now with all that floating in my head. I hope I can sleep! Will try to comply with that in the morning. Thanks for your help and detailed instructions.

Comment

Yes, basically, you just need to play with it and try to do some detective work. No hurry, no urgency, since your system does boot to a Kubuntu.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Ok here is the first result, and thanks heaps.
            Error 15: file not found, says the same for both.

Comment

My bad, I was just looking at what you said it was I posted and I went and checked it out again. In that list I have it right except for the order of the last two numbers (ie the 15s and 16s), so, to save me typing that whole list again the numbers are, in this order from the top16,16,15,15. Then below the windows one, 16,16,15,15. Sorry about that.

Comment

Qqmike, I'm having a devil of a time with my 2-OS setup here -- have you seen this kind of a situation before:

Code:
                dibl@gutsy:/media/sdc1/boot$ find vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic
                vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic
                dibl@gutsy:/media/sdc1/boot$ cd ..
                dibl@gutsy:/media/sdc1$ cd ..
                dibl@gutsy:/media$ find vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic
                find: vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic: No such file or directory
                As soon as I leave the directory where Linux #2 is, it seems to be lost to Grub. In this case, Linux #1 (Kubuntu Gutsy) is on /dev/sda1, the first SATA drive. An IDE drive is present, but has no OS, no boot flag, and nothing in its MBR. /dev/sdb is a big 700GB SATA drive partitioned into 3 chunks, with no OS present. Ubuntu Feisty is on the above partition /dev/sdc1, but it gets lost from the boot menu, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why. Here's the fstab of the Ubuntu installation:

Code:
                # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                #
                # <file system> <mount point>  <type> <options>    <dump> <pass>
                proc      /proc      proc  defaults    0    0
                # /dev/sdc1
                UUID=cffddf89-57f3-40ab-a97f-40bb1ea45f16 /        reiserfs notail     0    1
                # /dev/sdc3
                UUID=9b7658da-59e1-4b2b-a4b9-fa3ee11b68cf /home      reiserfs defaults    0    2
                /dev/hda1	/media/hda1	reiserfs defaults	 0	 2
                /dev/hda3	/media/hda3	reiserfs defaults	 0	 2
                /dev/sda1 	/media/sda1   reiserfs defaults    0    2
                /dev/sda2 	/media/sda2   reiserfs defaults    0    2
                # /dev/sdb1
                UUID=1ddd0144-0875-4667-9f98-e90a23f58ff3 /media/sdb1   reiserfs defaults    0    2
                # /dev/sdb2
                UUID=710efad8-9f97-4bcd-8f57-8f8cc1facc2f /media/sdb2   reiserfs defaults    0    2
                # /dev/sdb3
                UUID=f1912a56-2e5c-45ce-b91b-3ebbe69e20f4 /media/sdb3   reiserfs defaults    0    2
                # /dev/sdd1
                UUID=d182b7c3-298c-49b3-ac66-b378033b815c /media/sdd1   reiserfs defaults    0    2
                # /dev/sdc2
                UUID=b5ba0fcf-2b10-47d1-bcd7-c0b176766eda none      swap  sw       0    0
                /dev/scd0    /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660 user,noauto   0    0
                /dev/fd0    /media/floppy0 auto  rw,user,noauto 0    0

Comment

james@office:~$ cat /proc/version
                  Linux version 2.6.20-15-generic (root@palmer) (gcc version 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu4)) #2 SMP Sun Apr 15 07:36:31 UTC 2007
                  james@office:~$

Comment

dibl, dibl, dibl

Retry your execution as:
                    Code:
                    sudo find -name vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic
                    You'll get the results you expected.

Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

james@office:~$ cat /proc/version
                      Linux version 2.6.20-16-generic (root@terranova) (gcc version 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu4)) #2 SMP Wed May 23 01:46:23 UTC 2007
                      james@office:~$

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                        dibl, dibl, dibl

Retry your execution as:
                        Code:
                        sudo find -name vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic
                        You'll get the results you expected.

Well, yeah, I hear you Snowhog, but

Code:
                        dibl@gutsy:~$ sudo find -name vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic
                        [sudo] password for don:
                        dibl@gutsy:~$
                        i.e. nothing ....

The earlier post was from the Grub prompt. I cannot figure out why I'm getting an "Error 15: File not found" error when I try to boot Ubuntu from my boot menu. I somehow suspect it has to do with that 750GB SATA drive with its three 250GB partitions, but I don't see what the problem is. :P

Comment

Code:
                          dibl@gutsy:/media/sdc1$ sudo grub
                          Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For
                               the  first  word, TAB lists possible command
                               completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
                               completions of a device/filename. ]
                          grub> find vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic
                          find vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic

Error 15: File not found
                          grub>
                          But, this is the drive (sdc1) that has Ubuntu Feisty in the /boot directory ...

Look at this:

Code:
                          dibl@gutsy:/media/sdc1/boot$ ls
                          abi-2.6.20-15-generic     initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic
                          abi-2.6.20-16-generic     memtest86+.bin
                          config-2.6.20-15-generic   System.map-2.6.20-15-generic
                          config-2.6.20-16-generic   System.map-2.6.20-16-generic
                          grub             vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic
                          initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic
                          dibl@gutsy:/media/sdc1/boot$ sudo grub
                          Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For
                               the  first  word, TAB lists possible command
                               completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
                               completions of a device/filename. ]
                          grub> find vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic
                          find vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic

Error 15: File not found
                          grub>
                          It doesn't even see it when I'm sitting on the sdc1/boot directory!

Comment

The first one is the daily use one and the second is the other. What should I do about the automatix. I get updates on a regular basis and apply them without any apparent bother?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                              It doesn't even see it when I'm sitting on the sdc1/boot directory!
                              When you are at the >grub prompt, what do you get when you type:
                              Code:
                              echo $PATH
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Code:
                                grub> echo $PATH
                                echo $PATH

Error 27: Unrecognized command
                                grub>

Apparently, that one's not on the short list of Grub commands!

Comment

Working...
                                X