This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denied SU access in Konsole

I've got an unusual problem that I can't figure out how to solve (or even how it happened. I'm running kubuntu Feisty and during install, it prompted me only for a single password. Previously when I was running Mandriva, I was prompted for both a root password as well as a login password.

The trouble is that when I'm in Konsole, it will not allow me su privilege:
    Code:
    su: Authentication failure
    Sorry.
    Anybody have any ideas? I have access to admin mode in System Settings with that pass and can seemingly do anything I require save for su access in konsole.

Re: Denied SU access in Konsole

try
    Code:
    sudo su

Comment

For security reasons Kubuntu has disabled root. Instead uses sudo command.

So if you want to run a command as root you must use sudo like this:

$ sudo your-command-here

And it will prompt for your $USER password. The password that you provided during installation.

Or if you're gonna type a sequence of commands that requires root privileges you can open a session:

$ sudo -s
      # and-your-root-commands-here
      # exit
      $

You can enable root user (not recomended) described in www.ubuntuguide.org.

Best

Comment

HA!

Worked like a charm, thanks for the quick reply guys.

Comment

You can also open a Root Shell (you will be prompted for your password) and work as root all day long (within the shell).
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X