X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will an ubuntu install wipe recovery data

curiousity killing me, I feel sure it wouldn't but am I wrong

So my real question is, (and maybe I should take this to the Vista forum? Please let me know) can I boot off the Ubuntu CD and install it in the second partition on top of the recovery data?
    OK, how should I answer this since he is worried that touching the partitions effects the warrenty of the computer so I suggested replacing the harddrive and keeping his original in case the computer needs repair
    every day is a gift

Re: will an ubuntu install wipe recovery data

That sounds like the wrong way to go about it. Just leave the Vista recovery partition and its data alone. Use a GParted live CD to shrink the "big" Vista partition, then make an extended partition out of the rest of the space on that hard drive. Make 3 logical partitions in the extended partition, like so:

"/"
    "/home"
    "swap"

And install *buntu in there. I did it this way -- no problems.

Comment

thanks I could do that I think meaning installing to the "/" partition you mention but this is a first try person so would installing from the live cd erase or effect the recovery partition as I don't think he has the ability yet to do it otherwise
      every day is a gift

Comment

I've read elsewhere that, after you've been running your Vista, it is better to use the Vista partitioning utility to shrink the Vista partition. On the one I did, Vista had never been booted, so there was not a problem using GParted.

When you look at a hard drive with a new factory Vista installation, there are 2 partitions on it. One is small -- that is the "recovery" partition. The other is the rest of the hard drive -- that is the OS itself. So I just shrunk the big partition with the OS, and left the recovery partition alone.

Once you've got a decent-size partition for Kubuntu, it's more a matter of taste as to how you arrange its partitions -- you only HAVE to have "/" and "swap".

Comment

last question, for my knowledge of helping fist timers, if he were to use the kubuntu install cd and just did the install from there gui style would he risk effecting the partition, but anyway I am sure now that he is going to buy another harddrive because eitherway he cannot avoid voiding the warranty if he resizes that partitions on the installed harddrive he has, so I suggested swapping it for another, thanks
          every day is a gift

Comment

Working...
          X