Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WYSIWYG Website Editor, is there something similar to Dreamweaver?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WYSIWYG Website Editor, is there something similar to Dreamweaver?

Always used Dreamweaver in Windows. Is there something similar for Linux? Or something that is easy to use. I am not proficient enough to design and edit web pages in a text editor so something like Dreamveaver would fit the bill.

Re: WYSIWYG Website Editor, is there something similar to Dreamweaver?

Amaya is one possibility.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I will give it a test drive after work tomorrow, thanks for the advice Snowhog. In case it does not work out fo me does anyone have any other suggestions?

Comment

Take a look at:
        http://www.nvu.com/index.php
        I use dreaweaver (in Winxp as a guest on vmware) but Nvu comes close enough.

I need DW for its easy PHP+data bank intergtrating tools.
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I'll give NVU a try as well. Looks like their website is down ATM though. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Before I suggested Amaya, I tried to get to nvu. Every link via Google responed the same - site isn't there: Error Code: 404

As no other site is identified in Google, I'm thinking that nvu has 'died?' It isn't available through Adept Manager (doesn't even come up in a search).

Comment

The site's back up at the moment. . .so no it didn't die >.>

I personally use Quanta Plus for web editing. It's not exactly WYSIWYG but it's got a nice dual pane code/preview feature just like in Dreamweaver.

Comment

I use Quanta too. I'm not a fan of WYSIWYG editors, but then I've been building web pages in text editors for years now. emacs will highlight my html for me, but Quanta also handles php and css properly, and does pretty well with documents including mixed code (my php pages usually have a lot of html in them, since I use php to make integration of menus, content and such much easier for me, and emacs couldn't wrap its head around this).

One thing that makes Quanta useful for newbies and people who are learning, is it will auto-complete your tags for you. I had to disable this feature because I would end up with two closing tags for any given thing because the program would add one, and I'd be trucking along and add my own when it was due. Annoying if you're used to doing it all yourself, but helpful if you're still getting the hang of things.

Comment

Checked around in the (now back up) Nvu site. Following the Nvu's unofficial bug fix release: link brings you to the Kompozer page. From there you can download v0.7.7 for Ubuntu packages. Apparently "Kompozer is a better nvu, to be used until next nvu release."

Direct links to the .deb downloads:

Kompozer Ubuntu Feisty 32 bits
                  Kompozer Ubuntu Feisty 64 bits

Comment

Working...
                  X