This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Themes - what's what???

I'm new to kde and would like to try some new themes, but I have no Idea what all the jargon is. On kde-look for example, they mention:

Color Schemes
    Icons
    Emoticon Themes
    Kbfx Themes
    K3b Themes
    Karamba
    Kicker Background
    Service Menues
    etc, etc, etc

what does it all mean? I am happy with the Kubuntu Icons, but would just like to look at some different menu & window styles. Where do I start?

Re: Themes - what's what

For a basic theme guide (with definitions), try reading https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CustomizeKubuntu

As for the other themes that KDE-Look offers:

1. Icons - this is different from Icon themes (read the guide above). Basically, "Icons" in KDE-Look are most probably incomplete sets, or icons for a specific set of apps only (like OpenOffice.org, etc.). Usually, you would have to manually place each of these icons in their correct places, unless the author/poster provided specific instructions.

2. Emoticon themes - these are emoticons which you can add to Kopete. These are for the smileys and other funny faces that you send/receive in Instant Messengers like Yahoo Messenger, MSN, or AIM.

3. Kbfx Themes - KBFX is an alternative menu which you can use instead of the K Menu (you have to install it of course). You can adjust the look of the menu using these kinds of themes.

4. K3b themes - K3b's main window (the one with "Welcome to K3b" and some icons in the middle) has a configurable design. You can change the theme of this area of K3b. I think a K3b theme also changes the splash screen that you see when you launch K3b.

4. Karamba - or Superkaramba, is an applicaton that lets you place applets with funky designs and different uses on your desktop, similar to Mac OS X's Dashboard or Yahoo Widgets. Karamba themes are the applets that you can run on your desktop. For more information, go to http://netdragon.sourceforge.net/ssuperkaramba.html

5. Kicker Background - Kicker is the KDE panel, which contains, among other things, the K Menu, the taskbar (list of running windows) the desktop pager & preview, the system tray (or notification area), Quick Launch icons, the clock, etc. You can change the background of the panel using any image.

6. Service Menus - technically this shouldn't be in kde-look, since it's not really a "theme". Service menus (also known as context menus) are the items that are offered to you when you right-click in Konqueror, whether on a file, a folder, or a blank area. You can add different kinds of service menus for Konqueror.

Hope that helps.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Re: Themes - what's what

EXCELLENT. That's a great help.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X