X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adding hardware (complete noob)

Hi forum,
    This will be my first post, and I should warn you that I am a complete newbie to linux.

I started with Apple when I was younger, and have since switched to windows (For the last 10 years or so). Today was my first experience with any linux OS at all, and I am pretty proud to have installed and configured (basics) kubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn on my own.

I do not fully understand how linux works, nor am i fully comfortable navigating the system....i've spent the last couple hours pouring over some online wiki's and user guides but am still having a couple basic problems...

that said, i have 2 questions for some kind soul out there...

1) I have an intel pro wireless 3945abg network card.... how do i install this hardware/configure in kubuntu?

2) I have a 250gig external usb hd that I cannot seem to access through kubuntu. do i need to install drivers ?

many thanks,

Re: adding hardware (complete noob)

Welcome to Linux!

As to your external USB hard drive. First, how is it formatted? FAT32, NTFS, ?? Second, how is it connected to your PC - onboard USB port or via a hub?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Same problem for me. I'm using an HP dv9000 laptop and trying to hookup an external Seagate usb drive. I think it might be formatted NTFS, but unsure. I CAN read another internal partition that is formatted NTFS without any problems.

Thank you for the help...

Comment

turn off the drive,wait a few seconds, and then turn it on again so the system picks it up.

Immediately paste each of the following in a terminal window and hit enter and paste the results (kmenu-system-konsole)

Code:
        dmesg | tail -45
        then:

Code:
        sudo fdisk -l
        (thats a lower case letter l for list partition tables)
        sudo will ask for your password, give your user password.

Comment

Working...
        X