Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noob with a twist-- installing packages without a direct internet connection

hi all i need some help,
    i installed feisty right before my ship went on deployment, and i would like to add packages to it, but the only internet connection i have available is a ships network that i cannot hook my laptop up to. now for my question : how would i get a package off the internet and install it? every post i have found about this says to use someone Else's kubuntu ant take the information from their computer if it is internet connected, seeing as how i have the only copy of kubuntu, or debian for that matter on board this is not an option. is there any other way? i would hate to have to wait 6 more months before i can really play with my new toy. any replies may also be forwarded to ROADINGS@lhd3.navy.mil

Steve

Re: noob with a twist-- installing packages without a direct internet connection

You can download the DVD image, burn the disk and add it to your apt souces. You would have many packages ready to install, but not the most updated ones.
    It will be easier to find a way to reach this internet connection than to download all updated packages to a intermediate machine, then take it all to your machine. It is possible, though, but is an exclusively manual process.

Comment

Re: noob with a twist-- installing packages without a direct internet connection

thank you for the quick reply, however that is the very issue. i am aboard a US Navy ship and as such bandwith is very limited. i could download the DVD however i would have to sit at the computer for 2 days so that the system did not log me off. > just ain't happining. i was just hoping there was an easier way. guess i will just have to wait the six months to return to home port and my cable modem. thank you for your help.

Comment

Is it not possible to find the package you require from http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/, download it to memory card or what-have-you and install it on your laptop using dpkg -i ? The site will tell you dependancies that your package will require too?

I'm no expert, so if someone calls me a fool I'll accept it

Comment

again thank you for your ideas, i just tried to download a package, and the military server/ firewall blocked a couple of the file types. so, i wrote my father and am having him send me a DVD, as my wife is completely unsporting of my Linux dream. i have to cut her some slack though she was raised in Redmond WA. and Bill Gates himself would go around to the local schools giving away copies of Windoze to the students(way back in the early days of Windows). She feels some loyalty there. can't blame the misguided.
          Steve
          ROADINGS@LHD3.NAVY.MIL

Comment

Working...
          X