Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving From Ubuntu to Kubuntu (Where the hell is Samba?!?!?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving From Ubuntu to Kubuntu (Where the hell is Samba?!?!?)

It was so easy to browse my network folders in ubuntu (gnome) now I can't even share a folder...I look for my shared folders and it complains about a firewall...pretty sure I'm not running one...but hey who the hell knows...

Jeez....I was just getting used to linux and now I hit a roadblock that I didn't know was there!!! HELP!

thanks
    myk

Re: Moving From Ubuntu to Kubuntu (Where the hell is Samba?!?!?)

Have you checked: System Menu | Remote Places | Samba Shares
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Is the server running?

Code:
      ROOT # ps aux | grep -v grep | grep smbd
      ROOT # ps aux | grep -v grep | grep nmbd
      Are the shares visible?

Code:
      ROOT # smbclient -L localhost

Comment

When setting up kubuntu for novices that make use of shared folders, I usually install and teach them smb4k. I usually set it up to automount the most used shares at boot time.

It's more intuitive to use and, as it mounts the shares, work well with non-kde programs that we usually use (like thunderbird and firefox).

Javier.

Comment

Yeah...it gives me an error message...Unable to find any workgroups in your local network. This might be caused by an enabled firewall.

I know I have 2 workgroups...

And I know I have shares out there that work...I was accessing them in gnome...

Do I have to start the samba service and client everytime I log in?

blah...

Comment

Not sure but did you try...
            in terminal type
            Code:
            kcontrol
            click internet and network then click on samba. Are your settings configured there? If you used a similar set up program in gnome then maybe it didn't transfer over with you. I dunno never used gnome.
            Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

Originally posted by myk.dinis
              Yeah...it gives me an error message...Unable to find any workgroups in your local network. This might be caused by an enabled firewall.

I know I have 2 workgroups...

And I know I have shares out there that work...I was accessing them in gnome...

Do I have to start the samba service and client everytime I log in?

blah...
              I'm not sure if you've already solved this but I was having the exact same problem after upgrading from Kubuntu 7.04 to 7.10

I don't know why it happened, but I found how to fix it.

As soon as I changed all windows computers on my local network to use static ip addresses rather than DHCP the workgroup would suddenly appear and be visible to all computers.

If even one windows computer had an IP assigned by DHCP (which was running on my ADSL router, not my Samba server by the way) then the workgroup would disappear.

So in my case it definitely seemed to be some sort of conflict with DHCP network traffic and Samba.

Comment

Working...
              X