This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows to Kubuntu Questions

I have a Core2Duo setup with 3 hard drives.

80 GB SATA = OS drive (currently Vista)
    250 GB SATA = storage (NTFS)
    250 GB SATA = backp of storage (NTFS)

What chnages do I need to make to move to Linux? I think I know but will ask.

I assume I can inastall Windwos XP for the wife to boot to for some things or can I install XP in vmware in Linux? I assume both 250 GB drives ned to be changed to EXT3 drives ? Does EXT3 support I big 250 GB drive without partitioning?

Anything else I need to know. I really only need XP for a few of the wifes programs (card making like Printmaster and my childs game A2Zap)

I have no idea how to copy from one drive to another in Linux by the way as I'd need to leave one drive NTFS as I copy to the other in EXT3.

Any help pounting me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Kryspy

Re: Windows to Kubuntu Questions

Originally posted by Kryspy
    can I install XP in vmware in Linux
    http://www.penguin.ch/dokuwiki/doku....l:vmware:model

Does EXT3 support I big 250 GB drive without partitioning?
    I'd say so; ReiserFS does, that I know for sure

I have no idea how to copy from one drive to another in Linux
    man cp

Comment

You can get some space from your storage backup disk for Linux.
      The livecd has a non-destructive partitioner, so you can resize the NTFS one and get, say, 20GB for EXT3 and around 256MB or 512MB for Swap.
      Once you have it done, set the mount point of the EXT3 partition as "/" (slash), which is the root directory.
      There are more sofisticated ways to partition your disk for Linux to avoid fragmentation (which is already very low compared to any other OS), but since this seems to be your first time, do it the safe (and easy) way.
      If your wife needs WindowsXP, then leave it installed. Create an account and let her use Linux, when she feels comfortable, get rid of Windows. As for your kid's game, there are lots of very cool games in the repositories, so this will be no problem.

Comment

While the "Desktop CD" may provide an easy way how to get things going (wrong), actually safe would be to use GParted for (re-)partitioning as well as the "Alternate Disk" for installing (further reading).

Comment

Working...
        X