This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen Refresh Stuck At 54Hz

Ok, so my Nvidia settings are all correct and set to refresh at 75hz, however in the 'Monitor & display - Systems Settings' menues, its set at 54 Hz and vesa driver. I believe this may be what is causeing horizontal tearing in my OpenGL apps... is there any way to change this?

FYI: I am running an 8800 GTS on a 64 x2 4200 and M2N-E mobo if this is important

thanks in advance
    Compy: AMD 64x2 6000+, Crosshair mobo, Enermax PSU, 4GB DDR2 800, 8800GTS 640mb, 24in cheapy monitor + secondary 17in, aprrx 1.6tb storage (internal) + external DVDrw, lots of nice big blue shiny quiet fans.

Re: Screen Refresh Stuck At 54Hz

With the proprietary Nvidia driver installed, you don't use System Settings>Monitor & Display. For the first time (i.e. to set the defaults), you need to open a konsole window and enter
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-settings
    Now find the panel that has resolution and refresh rates. First click the "detect display" and let it do that. Then set the resolution you want, and finally pick the refresh rate that is available for that resolution. It will dynamically change the screen so you can see what you're getting. When you've got it the way you want it, click the "Save to X Configuration File" button in the lower right, and click "save" in the little window that pops up. This will overwrite you xorg.conf file with the settings that you picked. To verify that it is correct, you can re-start the X xerver with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

For single-session changes to the screen, you can open KMenu>System>Nvidia Settings and change it on the fly, as a user, but those changes will not change the defaults.

Comment

Aye thanks, I had all that done already, however I'm getting horizontal tearing in OpenGL apps, which I'm sure must be able to be fixed somehow no? Is there a way to set VSync? (there doesnt seem to be that option in the NVidia X settings)
      Compy: AMD 64x2 6000+, Crosshair mobo, Enermax PSU, 4GB DDR2 800, 8800GTS 640mb, 24in cheapy monitor + secondary 17in, aprrx 1.6tb storage (internal) + external DVDrw, lots of nice big blue shiny quiet fans.

Comment

Eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww.

I dunno, what is this "Sync to VBlank" option in the "OpenGL Settings" in your Nvidia Settings utility? I've never needed to do experiments with it, so I don't know what happens when you check it. There's also an "Image Quality" slider -- mine defaulted to the middle of the slider, and I've never messed with it.

I have not previously heard of your problem -- hopefully someone else has. :P

Comment

have played around with all the settings in this and still the same. I guess it could be the combination of Beryl together with the OpenGL over dual screens thats doing it, but I'm sure it wasnt doing this earlier.

Oh well, will have to live without the fancy screensavers :P cant stand the banding hehe

Comment

Beryl does put a pretty hefty load on your system, and it may be that you're overtasking it. Try quitting Beryl and then running your OpenGL screensaver -- maybe it's the combination that is too much.

Comment

Working...
            X