This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intro and my setup

hey everyone, not really too much of a noob, ive been using linux for a few years but very casually. i understand the theories and ideas behind it, but just have a real problem with the actual nitty gritty, the command line

i hate when i cant find something or cant get something to work, thats been the main reason for me not using linux 100% my biggest problems being wireless cards, ive tried redhat, mandriva, ubuntu, opensuse, knoppix, warlinux and knoppix std. im on kubuntu now because i like the kde interface way better. i even got almost all the way through a gentoo install.

i have an intel mac mini, which i run parallels and that has mandriva, opensuse and gentoo(stuck) on it

my main linux box will be a dell latitude d610 which is running kubuntu, thats the one im on this forum for

i have feisty fawn, i have 2 wireless cards that i flip back and forth on depending if i get lucky enough to connect, a linksys and a cisco aironet 350

sometimes i boot up knoppix because its the only distro where my wireless card was really plug and play. but not without taking the encryption off of my router. before someone gives me a security lecture dont worry about it, theres no one around me my router is safe

basically the first thing i want to do is get my wireless cards to work. a lot of people say that they set theirs up with minimal set up

so my question is after you put the card in the pcmcia slot then you.......?

Re: Intro and my setup

... boot the computer, and do
    Code:
    lspci
    to see if your card has been recognized by the OS? (I'm just guessing, but that's what I would do.)

Comment

right i did that and i get some information back im guessing a list of drivers, which one am i supposed to be looking for though

Comment

try
        Code:
        lspci | grep WLAN
        and see if it narrows your choices
        Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

i dont get any output

Comment

id like to copy and paste all the output directly from my laptop but i cant even plug my ethernet cable in and connect to the internet

Comment

Originally posted by sc0ut64
              id like to copy and paste all the output directly from my laptop but i cant even plug my ethernet cable in and connect to the internet
              Why not?
              Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

i dont know

when i installed kubuntu, should i have left my cisco card in the pcmcia slot?
                will that have auto detected the card?

is it better to do it that way even though i want to use my laptop to go wardriving and likely detect networks that are a different setup than my own

and if im not installing with the card in the slot, is it good to install withthe ethernet cable plugged in??

Comment

Working...
                X