This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First things first

I have a chance to use my friends cable connection for a few hours this weekend.I have loaded the Kubuntu 7.04 Live CD on my computer,with no updates or any internet available programs at all.So my question is,what programs(packages) should I get(install) at the very start once I get online.I was looking a Easy Ubuntu as a good place to start.I'm a GUI kinda guy,if possible.Any suggestions on things to load to "fill out" my Kubuntu 7.04 distro.I mostly want the multimedia apps,some office and printing stuff,any large file downloads as I'll be returning to a dial-up situation once I get back home.Forgot to mention,it will be for the i386 version of Kubuntu.TIA

Re: First things first

Good question, I personally found everything I needed already on Kubuntu except for a few tweaks I needed to get wireless going and internet connection sharing going. The big thing you'll wanna do is updates.

Alot of people find running Automatix a good idea. It gives Kubuntu a few of the most comonly used apps and it is all GUI. The major thing you want to use it for is installing codecs that your players will need to run some of the wmv and avi format videos and etc... it will also install dvd libs which will enable you to play DvDs in Kubuntu.

Nice thing is with package managers no download is really huge.

Really whatever you want to download depends on what configurations you want.

Comment

sorry to ask on someone else's thread but how does one go about installing automatix, I cannot see it in add/remove nor in apt, thanks
      every day is a gift

Comment

Before installing automatix do some research on it first than decide if you want to install it. Here are some articles
        http://pimpyourlinux.com/linux-featu...buntu-install/

http://ubuntucat.wordpress.com/2007/...you-may-think/

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...74951#msg74951
        Registered Linux User #418555<br />Kubuntu User #9254<br /><br />aptosid 2010-01 Xfce / aptosid 2010-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Wheezy Xfce / Kubuntu 10.04<br />aptosid 2011-01 Xfce / aptosid 2011-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Testing Gnome<br />Debian Sid Gnome<br />Epidemic 3.2<br />ALL pulseaudio free by default

Comment

Thanks for the replies.It looks like I'll use Easy Ubuntu first as it gets the codecs for Amarok,DVD's etc that I want.

[EDIT:I just looked at the bottom link of your reply linuxwizard.I wasn't aware that Easy Ubuntu could cause upgrade problems.Is Synaptic a better choice?I want something that will do the updates/upgrades easily,GUI if possible,and won't cause future problems.Thanks for your heads up on that.]

Then I'll look at Synaptic.It's supposed to be easy with a GUI.There is always the apt-get that is native to Kubuntu,as long as I don't get lost in the "script-terminal" stuff.I'll review how to get updates before I try this weekend.I want to get-install wine if at all possible(for games).Any more suggestions?

Comment

Umm Adept Installer works fine and is GUI. Synaptic is easier but Adept is easy enough too and is native to Kubuntu so guaranteed to work. I have never needed to use apt-get in the terminal.

Oh and as far as automatix goes. Just search for it in google and download the .deb file from their website then right click it and click install package. Bingo.... once you get used to what programs do what it is rather easy to install anything in Kubuntu or indeed any Linux distro.

Comment

One should keep in mind, that installing and using Automatix as your package manager/installer can, if I remember the posts I've seen, result in package installations that may break your system. I know I'll be corrected on this if I'm wrong. :-X

Using Adept, which is the default package manager, has one big advantage. While it is true, that with it's default configuration of active repositories, you may not find a program in it's list you desire, but, those that are listed (and updated) are supposed to work with the version of *ubuntu you have installed. If you are new to Linux in general, that is a good thing. Bad experiences resulting from installing a program that is not compatible with your OS is all to common, and avoidable.

My 2-cents worth of advice: Utilize the native tools and utilities that come with the *ubuntu you have installed. Get to know what is 'inside' and what it will (and will not) do for you. Better to venture into the shallows of waters new, than to go wildly dashing in, only to discover that the bottom just dropped out from under you.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah I would NOT recommend using Automatix as a package manager. I just used it for codecs install and some of the things not defaultly in the repos. Otherwise I don't think anyone should use automatix for their everyday manager, never heard of anyone doing that actually. Most people use it for those things and that is all and it worked perfectly on my Kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog

using Automatix as your package manager/installer can, if I remember the posts I've seen, result in package installations that may break your system. I know I'll be corrected on this if I'm wrong.
                  You are not wrong, Snowhog. Automatix will write changes in /etc/apt/sources.list that may not be conducive to smooth system operation, to put it mildly.

I'd rather enable the Medibuntu repo for restricted codecs, and let Envy install my proprietary drivers, and skip Automatix.

But, it's a matter of taste, so "to each his own".

Comment

Oh didnt know bout that lol, I just chose the easiest path I could find.

Comment

I also found that the stock apps covered just about everything. In addition I also installed:

Opera
                      Kftpgrabber (FTP App)
                      QComicBook (Comic Book Reader)
                      kstreamrecorder
                      streamripper
                      VLC (Media Player)
                      Virtualbox (To try other Linux distros)

And a few new themes and icon packs from http://www.kde-look.org/

Comment

Am I correct in assuming that using Adept, which is the default package manager,contains free codecs and packages,but not restricted ones?I mean,if it's in an Adept list,then there is no "legal" complications downloading any thing from it.It makes sense to start there first,then see what will happen if I try Medibuntu,Envy,etc.

Also,will Kubuntu recognize my ethernet connection as soon as I try it,or will it need to be configured.I'll be connecting to a cable modem thru a router.I've briefly looked thru the networking stuff.Looks pretty much the same as for a windows setup,TCI/IP client,DNS,Gateway,DHCP,etc.

Comment

Basically, Yes. Adpet's repositories are those were packages classified a 'free' - contain non-proprietary, or that meet the terms of the GPL. You can add 'non-free' repositories on you own to obtain proprietary codecs and such if/when needed.

If you were able to connect to the Internet using the LiveCD (before you install), with the set up you have, you should not have any problems when you install.
                          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                          X