This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 7.04 and Madwifi issues.

Hi , Im a complete linux n00b so don't flame and please try and explain in the simplest terms possible.

Im using kubuntu 7.04 and have 2 wifi card, netgear wg311v3 and wg311 t, i use the latter for all my needs however... it does not pickup on a default install as it did in ubuntu. I need to get madwifi to work but I cant connect to the internet as I connect via wifi, about the only thing I can do is reboot in windows, dl files and then try make them in kubuntu. I've downloaded madwifi but get an error when making and i downloaded the .deb file from madwifi and ran that.

How can I make sure this card will work, I know its supported as it works 100% in ubuntu but doesnt pickup in kubuntu it is atherosed based and uses madwifi hence I need madwifi to work, please give me step by step details to install, bear in mind i cant use synaptic manager or any such as I cant get online till I fix this wifi issue. Thanks

Re: Kubuntu 7.04 and Madwifi issues.

Originally posted by jsheed_sa
    it does not pickup on a default install as it did in ubuntu.
    Please explain how you know this (what, as exactly as you can, is the system doing that shows you this)

You may need to have the linux-restricted-modules-(your kernel) package(s) installed. (You can download individual packages from the repositories without using apt-get: http://packages.ubuntu.com)

Your card uses the Atheros chipset; if
    Code:
    lsmod | grep ath_pci
    returns nothing, then try loading the module into the kernel
    Code:
    sudo modprobe ath_pci
    and seeing if any useful messages are printed to the system log
    Code:
    dmesg
    , or if any interfaces appear
    Code:
    ifconfig
    . Feisty has an annoying habit of not loading all the modules that it should on boot.

Comment

Please explain how you know this (what, as exactly as you can, is the system doing that shows you this)

Well ubuntu if i did ifconfig it showed up as ath0 etc and it showed up under networking when i used it several times to connect to wifi aps. Card also works perfectly in backtrack 2.0.

In kubuntu it doesnt show up in networking and it doesnt show up in ifconfig, it does however show up when i do lsmod | grep atheros or some such, cant remember the actual string. I know this card works Its worked in Ubuntu how do i get it to work in kubuntu, i need wifi for internet , else im stuck logging on to windows to reply all the time.

Please let me know how to install packages manually and install madwifi im at a complete loss.

Thanks
      J

Comment

Does madwifi come included on the kubuntu cd? Can i force kubuntu to look and install it off the cd somehow? This is a real pain as no wifi means no internet and rebooting / saving pages from windows then trawling through em in kubuntu having no luck and switching back to xp.

Thanks
        J

Comment

Try using Adapt Manager to search for Atheros, then install madwifi-tools ("Tools for the Multi-band Atheros Driver for WiFi"). In my case, I was able to connect my Thinkpad Z60t in Ubuntu but not with the KDE session nor Kubuntu. The card was recognized but KNetworkManager did not list any wireless networks. After I installed the above tool, everything worked.

Comment

Working...
          X