This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE and Windows Network

I am currently testing and comparing ubunto 6.06 and kubunto 6.06 and would like some input about the live versions (run from CD).

I noticed in the gnome build I was able to access my windows network, copy files on to my desktop. It was really easy, just point and click answer a couple questions and viola. I have not been able to figure out how to do the same (simply without installing something) on KDE (kubunto) build of the live cd. Is there a program I should start from a menu, similar to the Gnome one, in which I just answer a couple questions and start browsing without installing something on my hard drive?

It is important I have access to a Windows Network PC.

Thanks in advance for any answer.

Re: KDE and Windows Network

I found it. SOLVED.

What I was looking for is off of the System menu>Remote Places.

At first samba didn't see my Windows Network, I had to input the computer name and share I was looking for and it found it. From then on it automatically showed the work group and I was able to copy files from the share and paste them onto my desktop.

Now the only rub is having firefox. In the gnome build it is available, in the KDE version it appears not to be.

Comment

Re: KDE and Windows Network

It's not installed by default (Konqueror functions as both file manager and web browser) but installing it is as simple as typing "sudo apt-get install firefox" at a command prompt.

Comment

Working...
      X