Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cannot install ndiswrapper/Fake chip (intex silan mimicking realtek)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cannot install ndiswrapper/Fake chip (intex silan mimicking realtek)

It has been only a day since I have started using Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn.
    It did not detect my network card. Upon searching, I discovered that my chipset was a fake . intex claims that it uses realtek chips but in reality uses chinese made Silan chips. The driver for linux is outdated.

Then I found out that I could intsall the driver with ndiswrapper. Now, when I downloaded it and tried installing it (the usual routine I find - sudo make uninstall->make->sudo make install), it gives a ****load of errors.

So far I have tried to install a compiler (in case that is what is missing) by using the apt-get, but since I cannot connect to the net w/o by broadband via the lancard, i cannot get updates from the net.

So someone suggested I insert the Kubuntu Fesity Fawn install disc and mount it and try it. So I did. But it seems that even then the apt-get commanc tried to download stuff off the net and gives me errors at the end.

What do I Do? someone plz HELP!

I love kubuntu and would love to use it.

Re: cannot install ndiswrapper/Fake chip (intex silan mimicking realtek)

From my understanding you are trying to get ndiswrapper working correct? Do you have a wired connection, if so use adept installer to install ndiswrapper, may even be a GUI version available. Otherwise find some other internet connected comp and download the .deb package ndiswrapper common and ndiswrapper utils and install thos packages on your kubuntu install. Can find those packages by doing a google search or searching ubuntu forums.

Otherwise if you do not mind a gnome desktop could try Linux Mint as they already have ndiswrapper pre-installed. Or could alternatively try PcLinuxOS which uses KDE and has a utility for windows wireless drivers in place already from install.

Comment

Re: cannot install ndiswrapper/Fake chip (intex silan mimicking realtek)

AYe. Thank you jbaerbock!

Someone finally provided me with the .deb files.

I have finally been able to setup my connection (PPPoE) butstill, I get no activity. I cannot connect to any site. The update wont work bcoz it cannot connect. Am behind a firewall in Kubuntu which stops everything till told other wise?

Comment

Working...
      X