Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

installing and using kubuntu (comparisons to Ubuntu)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing and using kubuntu (comparisons to Ubuntu)

Hello, I'm a noob at Linux although I have had some exposure to both Debian and Ubuntu. I prefer using KDE over Gnome and I thought Kubuntu would be a good distro to use to learn Linux.

I think this is an appropriate section to ask these questions and discuss these topics but I apologize if I didn't choose the correct or most appropriate section.

Anyway, I have several questions and comments. But, first, let me say that I like the look of this forum and it seems there are a lot of helpful people on here. Okay, here it goes: I was hoping someone could tell me what the differences are between Ubuntu and Kubuntu as far as the repositories go (whether, the two distros share any for e.g.) and how that works. I might be asking a question that has a FAQ (sorry, if there is one or there's places I can read on this) but if someone could answer and/or direct me to the material describing this, that would be great. I was hoping that I could go to both forums to read about issues since I'm a noob and sometimes struggle trying to get things to work. I like the support of the forums and they assist me in learning. I was also wondering about other similarities/differences and how Kubuntu compares to an Ubuntu system which adds KDE to it.

I am trying to weed myself off of the Windows way of wanting things to 'just work' and I have other interests but I'll do my best.

Okay, my other question is regarding the installation of Kubuntu. Is the Live CD the best way to install? I want to use the '32 bit' version as I understand the 64 bit versions still have issues when using 32 bit applications. I tried Automatix a long time ago with Ubuntu but didn't have significant success. I'm satisfied with the x386 system for now. I like the stickys (Tips for New Users especially) so that will probably prove to be very helpful.

How much of a partition do you recommend for the install? I was going to use around 20 GBs and have the remainder (or another large storage Drive) be for my data.

One more question and I hope that it is acceptable to ask this: I prefer the 'Debian way/method' or the traditional root user system and would like to know an option of using that instead of sudo. I believe there is a way (read it a while ago in the Ubuntu forum). Could someone explain? I assume the 'work-around' that was expressed in the Ubuntu forum would apply to Kubuntu?

Re: installing and using kubuntu (comparisons to Ubuntu)

I hope to answer some of the questions you have. Yes Ubuntu and Kubuntu share the same repositories though I imagine Kubuntu has some extras in regard to updating KDE only things. Anything you can find in Ubuntun repo you can find in Kubuntu repo.

Also Kubuntu is basically ubuntu with KDE, uses the same basic under the hood stuff.

I am farely new so dont know about root user logins but I use gksudo alot. Basically type gksudo Konqueror and it will open Konq in Root user mode, can do most everything from there.

Hope that helps some, again im fairly newish to linux and even more so to KDE so yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by kbunt
      Is the Live CD the best way to install?
      It's the best way to check your hardware for compatibility with Kubuntu; for the actual process of installation, however, I'd recommend the "Alternate CD" (featuring the Debian Installer ...) instead.

I was going to use around 20 GB
      You may want to cut that in halves: one for the system, one for the home(s).

I prefer the 'Debian way/method'
      Good boy http://www.penguin.ch/dokuwiki/doku....o#root_revival

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornRider
        It's the best way to check your hardware for compatibility with Kubuntu; for the actual process of installation, however, I'd recommend the "Alternate CD" (featuring the Debian Installer ...) instead.

You may want to cut that in halves: one for the system, one for the home(s).

Good boy http://www.penguin.ch/dokuwiki/doku....o#root_revival
        Okay! Thanks for the info, friend!

Comment

Working...
        X