This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

apt-get install then what

I wanted to install lyx and at a terminal window typed "sudo apt-get install lyx" and it appeared that lyx was installed. When I go to Adept, I find that it's installed. Problem is that I can't run it from the computer; it doesn't show up in any of the categories on the start menu. And I can't get it to run by typing "lyx" at any of the directoriies where it might be.

So once you've "apt-get"ed where does the installed software go and how do you run it?

Thanks!

Re: apt-get install then what

You usually don't have to do anyhing after apt-get install. I don't know what is lyx, but if it's a console program, you can't run it from application menu (start menu).

Try this, open console and try lyx and press ener.
    cheers!
    -=|From the desk of|=-
    «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
    «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
    «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
    Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

Re: apt-get install then what

number of things you can do.

just to run the software press ALT+F2 and type lyx - that should start it

alternatively, find where it was installed (there is a find tool in the start menu) and add to the menu manually

finally, apt-get usually makes menu entries, but I guess it can only do that if the programme it installs tells it to. lyx obviously didn't
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
      X