X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux Ubuntu Security

Hey,

I have been using Ubuntu a bit now and i can understand that Linux does protect you against exe's being ran on ur computer without permission. However i was abit suprise when a book that i have been reading said that Linux assumes that anything that you installed yourself is fine to connect to the internet!!!! Thats fine I suppose for the average user but for some1 like myself that likes to run 3rd party code eg themes and beta programs (thunderbird 2.0) etc. I am at a massive security risk aren't I. With windows if i installed a program and it tried to connect to the internet then my firewall would ask me whether i would like that program to connect to the internet. I am aware of firestarter but that allows any program installed on my computer to gain access because it is installed on my computer, as far as i am aware i cant see that Linux has any protection from the inside as it were?

cheers tom

Re: Linux Ubuntu Security

I really can't understand why letting any program connect to the internet could be a security risk for you.

Anyway, a firewall is a firewall both in windows and Linux, and can be configured the same way. It's just that usually linux systems don't need firewalls, as they are *now* quite secure without one.

Javier.

Comment

With windows if i installed a program and it tried to connect to the internet then my firewall would ask me whether i would like that program to connect to the internet.
      as far as i am aware i cant see that Linux has any protection from the inside as it were?

The Enemy Inside the Gates problem

First thing that malware does ?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware:
      Malware is software designed to infiltrate or damage a computer system without the owner's informed consent.
      After malware is in your machine it disables your protection (virus scanners, firewalls...)

So when installing programs: User Discretion Advised
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

With windows if i installed a program and it tried to connect to the internet then my firewall would ask me whether i would like that program to connect to the internet.
        In Linux maybe with hard work.

More info:
        Application-wise network filtering on Linux?
        http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/0...ring-on-linux/

Conclusion

So the bottom line is that there is currently no easy way to implement application-wise network filtering afaik. It can be discussed how useful it is anyway, but from the technical point of view this is sad.
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
        X