X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rights Desktop

Here is a strange thing:

on my desktop I can not make new maps or delete icons??

Are my rights changed and how do i put it back?

Re: Rights Desktop

Now that's pretty weird!

Are you saying you can save something to your /home/powerbits/desktop, and then later you cannot send it to Trash? Or are you saying that somehow the owner of items previously placed on your desktop has changed, so that "you" are no longer the owner of them? Did you add a new user, or did Mr. Super User happen to save some things on powerbit's Desktop?

For the new Linux user (like me ...) the subject of "permissions" as presented in Linux books is mondo-complicated. But, if you think of it simply as "whose file or folder?", it's considerably simpler. In the GUI environment, you can right-click files and folders and choose the "properties" tab, and see at a glance who it belongs to. If you've screwed up your installation, like I did once, you might need to use Konqueror in Super User mode
    Code:
    kdesu konqueror
    and go to your /data and even your Desktop folder and right-click the top folders, choose "permissions" and change them to powerbits. Note that there is an option box to "x" that says "apply to sub-folders and files", if you need to.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      the subject of "permissions" as presented in books is mondo-complicated
      How about that one: http://dmiessler.com/study/unixlinux_permissions/

Comment

I solved it like this:

I did "sudo Konqueror" and went to /home/powerbits/ there I changed the user rights to Desktop from root to powerbits

its all simpel, once you know it

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornRider
          Hey, that's good! Thanks U.R.!

Comment

Working...
          X