X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting it all Setup

Hey Folks,

Just getting my Kubuntu set to go to be THE operating system for me... I'm liking it a lot and change is always a good thing! Just wondering what programs people use to get things up and running, right now on my Feisty Fawn I've got:

aMSN
    Thunderbird
    Firefox
    Amarok
    and the rest of the KDE suite.

First question is this: This morning before leaving for work I got my NTFS drive to mount and started adding my old music from the Windows HDD into my Amarok - go to play it and Amarok tells me that it currently doesn't have mp3 support (I know it does as my buddy has been using it, but he's away on business this week so I'm left to the forums)... How do I get that going?

Also - I'll want to be able to start throwing on some of the Windows apps I have to see how they run, what does WINE support? I'll be using a VM Ware in due time (when I have a solid day to get things set up), but in the meantime what can WINE do to help me out? I'm looking to get the following programs set to go:

Starcraft (sorry, got hooked on it again since they announced Starcraft 2... ahh my childhood)
    Half Life 2
    Adobe Professional (if there's an open source spin off I would rather check that out first but if anyone knows if it'll run in WINE please post)
    Adobe Photoshop CS2 (I'll be trying out GIMP as soon as I remember to install it, but if CS2 can run I'd like to know)
    Guild Wars (I'm pretty certain it doesn't... but will it run under a VM?)
    Adobe Macromedia Suite

hmmm... That's all I can think of right now - since I've switched to progs like Firefox, Thunderbird, and OpenOffice.org I don't really have a need for much else? I have yet to test DVD playing, from my understanding I need to install support first, comments?

Also my buddy suggested Automatix as another Adept Installer type program (although I was told it is not a replacement). My first go around with Feisty didn't go so well for installing automatix, I got it installed but I found that many of the programs on it never fully installed or they required additional libraries that they didn't just install during installation. Any comments on this little utility program??

And Finally - can anyone suggest a good tutorial for the command line in Kubuntu... been a long time since I've been on a Unix-style machine and if it's one thing I remember... its that I need to know or at least have a good understanding of the command line.

Thanks all!!! Post, discuss, share the love!

Liam

Re: Getting it all Setup

Originally posted by MailmanTX
    what can WINE do to help me out
    # Applications
    # Documentation

Comment

Amarok tells me that it currently doesn't have mp3 support
      A little extra work is required to get Amarok playing restricted formats:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Personally, I just add Medibuntu to my repositories -- (Ubuntu can't quite tell you that, I guess) ...

http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Personally, I just add Medibuntu to my repositories -- (Ubuntu can't quite tell you that, I guess) ...
        I assume then that by following the commands given on Medibuntu, that this is how I add repositories:

Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty Fawn"

echo "deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ feisty free non-free" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
        wget -q http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update

Comment

Yep, that's all you need to do, and then look in Adept Manager to see what you need from your (amended) available package list.

Comment

Love it...

Next up... How Hot is Beryl? Cause I was looking at the website for it... and it looks hot!

Comment

Love it...

Next up... How Hot is Beryl? Cause I was looking at the website for it... and it looks hot!

Search. Lots of beryl infor, especialy on their webpage http://www.beryl-project.org/

Everyone loves beryl. When it becomes standard with (k)ubuntu, there is going to be a mass exodus from Windows.
              Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

I'm not sure they will bother with beryl as part of install for kubuntu since kde 4 is adding most of that sort of thing into KWin out of the box (I imagine they will still do it for ubuntu though).
                For more info on what they are doing with KWin:
                http://dot.kde.org/1180541665/

Comment

Back to the original topic of playing mp3 files

I tried the "Add/Remove Programs" method of installing the restricted formats package.

Kubuntu showed that the package was downloaded and installed properly. Still I am not able to play mp3 files.

Any Idea?
                  Triple booting Kubuntu Intrepid with XP and Ubuntu Hardy <br />Intel Pentium DualCore 2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM Intel 945GM MoBo

Comment

And Finally - can anyone suggest a good tutorial for the command line in Kubuntu... been a long time since I've been on a Unix-style machine and if it's one thing I remember... its that I need to know or at least have a good understanding of the command line.
                    sudo apt-get install rutebook
                    Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

Originally posted by Ant2ne
                      sudo apt-get install rutebook
                      Possible addition: http://tille.garrels.be/training/tldp/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by mistrynitesh
                        Kubuntu showed that the package was downloaded and installed properly. Still I am not able to play mp3 files.
                        When you try to play an mp3 file, what error are you given? Check Adept and see if libk3b2-mp3 is installed.
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                          When you try to play an mp3 file, what error are you given?
                          The amarok starts and gives the error message:
                          "Amarok currently cannot play mp3 files"
                          below that are the buttons asking "Install MP3 Support"
                          but it stops responding there and amarok needs to be terminated.

Originally posted by Snowhog
                          Check Adept and see if libk3b2-mp3 is installed.
                          the package was not installed.
                          just installed.
                          Still the problem continues...

before this I had installed "Ubuntu restricted packages extra" from "Add/Remove Programs" option in KMenu
                          Triple booting Kubuntu Intrepid with XP and Ubuntu Hardy <br />Intel Pentium DualCore 2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM Intel 945GM MoBo

Comment

checked up the Ubuntu documentation site... and got to know that I had not installed [libxine1 -ffmpeg]. Installed the same. It made amarok play mp3 files and kaffeine play mpg files.

thank you

Following is the link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/MP3

Comment

Working...
                            X