This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu without the internet

um its is a simple query...i dont have internet on my kubuntu (dialup wont work for some reason), but i do have it on a windows machine on my campus , so i was wondering, is it possible to download all those cool programs for linux on windows machine, transfer them here, then install them?

i tried downloading some .deb files, but always one or the other "relevant" file is missing, or sometimes they just give u the code to enter in to terminal, so i have no link to download with!

i desperately need a method, coz i need the mp3 codecs, amongst the other programs linux has to offer...

Re: kubuntu without the internet

Easiest way (to get some of k/x/ubuntu packages):

a.k.a Get DVD

Why ? --->

From psychocats excellent Ubuntu page:

Which *buntu to pick?
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/whichbuntu
    What's the difference between the Ubuntu CD and DVD?
    The CD usually contains only one version of Ubuntu (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu) and is either the Desktop CD, the Alternate CD, or the Server CD. The DVD contains the entire Main and Restricted repositories (read more about Main and Restricted here), which means it has Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Edubuntu, allowing you to install any or all four versions without needing an internet connection.
    More...
    Topic: How can I create my own repository with only chosen software?
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084821.0
    I would like to start my own repository so that I dont have to go on the internet to get software every time. Some people just dont have internet and other people's connections are slow.
    Also, I dont want all the software on the repository, but only certain software.
    And, How can I be sure to get all the dependencies?

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

thnx for replying!
      i had already been refered to psychocats but you see, buying a dvd is not possible for me (i am one of those guys who depend on Shipit to send us our favorite linux...)
      okey let me read the second link u gave, then i will ask if there is any query...
      thnxs anyways...

Comment

hi...um no, i dont think this what i need, if i understood the post right, this for when i have already downloaded it the proper way, and want to avoid the problem of doing it every time i install linux on a machine...

what i need is dome how get the relevant files on windows, and then copy them to linux and install...

you see, i dont always get the necessary deb files, or i fall into "dependency hell"

any advice?

Comment

If you had a way of getting on to the internet ONCE with your Kubuntu machine, I would suggest that you download the "apt-zip" package from the universe repository. It is designed for (almost) exactly the circumstances you describe. Basically, apt-zip makes a download script of all the packages you need to install the one, or more, packages that you want. You then take that script, on a thumb drive or zip disk to an internet connected Unix or Linux computer. You run the script. It copies the download to your thumb or zip drive. You take it home and install your software. But, you need internet access from a (*)buntu/Debian computer ONCE to get apt-zip, and then access to the internet on another computer any time you want to download and install something.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
            If you had a way of getting on to the internet ONCE with your Kubuntu machine
            Please correct me if I'm wrong - but even with apt-zip you'll have to access the internet twice from the "offline machine": once to fetch the extremely small utility - and once (again) to apt-get update - for there seems to be no way to "redirect" this "adjustment call" to the removable medium as well (?).

(My sources of ignorance: http://linuxbasics.org/tutorials/using/apt-zip as well as "today's experiments")

Comment

You have to access the internet at least twice. However, you're correct that I misspoke you don't need to use a Debian or (*)buntu machine at all. The procedure (in detailed outline) is as follows.

Go to an internet connected machine with a thumb or zip drive. It could be a windoze or Mac machine, if you know the appropriate commands. Use ftp (or http) to download the appropriate apt-zip*.deb for the machine with no internet connection, from an Ubuntu repository. You probably also need to get a list of available packages, but you may have to already have apt-zip for this, so you may have to get the list on the second trip. Take it back to the net-less Kubuntu machine. Install apt-zip with dpkg. It turns out that apt-zip depends only on apt, so there's no dependency-hell in doing this.

Once your machine is equipped with apt-zip and a populated package list, you can use apt-zip to generate one or more scripts to get anything you might want. If you're not using a Linux machine you will have to translate the script to windoze or mac commands. It may be possible to have apt-zip do this for you. If not, it's pretty trivial because you only need to know toe or three commands (that both M$ and Apple got from Unix, so they're not very different). Load the downloaded debs on your removable drive, take them home and install them.

Obviously, you can read between the lines and see that, if you have internet connectivity at home in windoze, on the "Kubuntu machine", you can dispense with the travel and the removable drive. Just save things to a windoze partition on the same machine and then mount it in Kubuntu so apt zip can do its thing.

Cautionary Note: I have never tried this myself, I'm going on information from quasi-reliable sources (like the Debian-Administration site).

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                Cautionary Note: I have never tried this myself
                I have - at least the "updating" of a Linux machine by means of a second one
                My experience: you need to get used to it - but the results are quite impressive.

Comment

Um sorry sir, but i cant get my kubuntu machine to the net even once!
                  just not feasible, my lab assistant will have a heart attack if i bring even a packet of crisps in the lab:-)
                  so it seems i am sort of stuck...if only my bloody lucent "winmodem" wouldn't give me ruddy error-16!
                  but hey, lets not loose hope, and keep up the spirit of "(k)ubuntu"
                  thanx for all the help, it is much appreciated...

Comment

oh the other hand wait!
                    i searched the net and found this
                    http://packages.debian.org/stable/admin/apt-zip
                    will it work?
                    am i saved?

Comment

That's exactly the package that I was talking about, but I suggested that you get it from an UBUNTU repository. Ubuntu is "fork" of Debian. Some of the libraries are different, and a lot of the user interface code has been rewritten in Python. Most Debian packages work in (*)buntu, but not all. It's safer to use your friendly neighborhood Ubuntu repository.

Comment

okey i searched and got the ubuntu version and installed...and then nothing...what do i do now? sorry for sounding retarded, but i am a newbie, and a bit slow on the uptake...
                        your help will be appriciated

Comment

Originally posted by Ruzzy
                          what do i do now
                          You may try to follow this "how to" of sorts, which in turn is based (in parts) on askrieger's contributions to this thread ...

Comment

Working...
                          X