This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub or SuperGrub?

I'm looking to install either Grub(Kubuntu 7.04 LiveCD) or SuperGrub (download .9598) on my hard drive.I want to install it to a separate partition of my hard drive because it's a multiboot drive that goes thru different re-installs of Windows XP and various Linux distros.I don't want to have to worry about it loading to my MBR only to be overwritten by a Windows re-install.My question is how big should this separate partition be,and where should I put it to minimize any Grub/Super Grub re-installs?I don't think any root directory would be right because if I upgrade or clean install any new Linux then Grub/Super Grub would have to re-install.Hope this makes sense.TIA

Re: Grub or SuperGrub?

I just added another post to the How-To on making a separate GRUB partition (scroll down to July 8 th):

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

It sure doesn’t have to be very big; gosh I don’t have a number handy in front of me on this machine, but, what . . . a few MBs? It’s just a bunch of GRUB files. Check under your /boot/grub directory in Kubuntu to see how many MBs are there in those files.

This is kind of relevant, but not really essential:
    How To Make GRUB Thumb Drive
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081748.0
    It’s good practice playing with and moving these GRUB and Super Grub Disk files around.

I put a boot partition (as explained in the How-To) just way out there by itself on some sdb12 or something like that, with nothing else on that partition, certainly no OS root files (for the reasons you mentioned – not wanting any update changes taking place – I’d rather just handle things manually on occasion).

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

It sure doesn’t have to be very big; gosh I don’t have a number handy in front of me on this machine, but, what . . . a few MBs?
      Actually, the standard recommendation is 50 MB. That leaves space for three or four /boot/initrd.* files (and backups) at 6.7MB each. Most of the boot files are in the /boot/ directory (not in /boot/grub/). Personally, I use 100 MB so that I can be lazy about clearing out old kernels without crashing my system.

Comment

OK. I thought he just wanted the GRUB/SGD files – just the files to establish a grub root and setup, then boot from it, not the kernels/initrds and such.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Actually Qqmike,you are right.I wanted to know how to setup the partition for Grub/SG so that I could boot from it and so that I wouldn't have to change it if I re-installed my Win XP,etc.I must say that your work covering the various possibilities is a great help to a newbie like me.Sounds like 50MB will be plenty for what I want to do.The link to the other thread was excellent reading.It answered many questions for me.Thanks for your help.

Comment

You're welcome, and glad you found it useful. -- Mike

Comment

In my notes, during an exchange with a member of the Super Grub Disk mailing list, I ran across a discussion of the term “boot partition.” Long story short, it can mean what askrieger used it to mean, or it can mean what I used it to mean. The former definition is perhaps more commonly used. The latter, what I took it to mean, maybe should be called GRUB partition, or maybe GRUB boot partition, or some such thing.
              Just an fyi about the terminology, which can be confusing.
              --Mike

Comment

Working...
              X