Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bootloader corrupted after installing kubuntu 7.04?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: bootloader corrupted after installing kubuntu 7.04?

The part where he left it running Windows, and found it rebooted in the morning, kinda suggests that the problem is not related to the OS, to me. Too bad, it would be easier to fix if it were .... :P

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      it would be easier to fix if it were
      Which is why I left the hardware part to you

Comment

Hi, thanks for all the help. The problem is that I cant open a terminal since the Kubuntu CD doesnt even load up. Ive been having this rebooting problem daily and I would then just use the cd and "sudo grub" and reinstall grub. I cant do it now though since the CD doesnt even load and just continues to loop.

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornRider
          Which is why I left the hardware part to you
          Got my soldering iron right here!

Comment

dibl: “The part where he left it running Windows, and found it rebooted in the morning, kinda suggests that the problem is not related to the OS, to me.”

Yeah, looks like a re-boot due to . . . Power Supply? Heat? A short? Loose cable? Etc.

Is the CD ok? Checksum ok? And Check this CD option OK?
            Is your optical drive OK? and its cables? They seem to be failing these days more than they used to.

I don’t know if a hard drive problem could cause “the boot loader were getting lost somewhere in the ‘digital nowhere’” Some sort of corruption, like we suspect. Maybe it could. Hard drives sometimes give these early, spooky warnings before they just quit.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

So, let’s be sure it’s not something obvious with the optical drive. Whether SATA or PATA, check the power cable from the power supply – is it tight? Check the data cable from the motherboard to the optical drive – tight at both ends? Be sure, because, esp with PATA, the cables can be difficult to seat.

Try another CD in your optical drive – do you have another utility to try like Super Grub Disk or GParted or some diagnostic? Heck, try a music CD or one of your data CDs just to rule things in/out.

You can also get into Event Viewer in Windows and look for clues as to why it restarted; but Event Viewer can by cryptic and not always helpful.

Is the driver for your optical drive up-to-date? (That's a long shot, but, who knows. Stranger things happen in hardware.)
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Im not exactly positive that this is a hardware problem since this just started happening after I installed kubuntu 7.04 on my computer.

Comment

Yes, you’re right – it’s hard to say. Once, I was copying/moving/saving/retrieving files off a DVD+/-RW on my Sony DVD writer, and doing so in rapid, non-stop succession. My machine stopped dead. Naturally, I over-cooked the DVD writer, right? Nope, it was fine. The power supply blew and was confirmed dead (at CompUSA). Had nothing to do with the DVD writer or the DVDs, per se. Just 1-year old, a solid Antec TP-2 430 Watt Power Supply. Dead. Go figure. What you say is true, but gotta be careful about making cause-effect connections.

You can test some things as noted in the posts above. Also, why not download something else and try it, like maybe GParted Live CD (smaller and quicker and different). Then fire it up. Observe the machine while doing that. But maybe your CD drive is not now working?

Comment

If you do some more experimenting,

UnicornRider advises and we agree:
                    “Where exactly stops the (re-)boot process? Does GRUB appear? Does the Kubuntu logo?”

If you leave the machine on all night, and if Windows delivers an update during the night, sometimes it requires re-start, and sometimes that will be done “to you” by M$ automatically, but [almost] always, when this happens, in the morning you’ll see a pop-up message come out of your Notification tray telling you all about the update and the restart that occurred.

Comment

jprimero:
                      just to see if it's a Kubuntu problem, why don't you just reinstall the windows original MBR via win installCD> recovery console> fixmbr command and check out if windows boots and works OK.

I don't think it's a grub problem because if the boot order in the BIOS is for the CD first, it just bypasses the MBR in the HDD and boot directly fron the CD...you shouldn't see the "Grub loading..." thing!

...nejode...

Comment

Working...
                      X