This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X server problems

Hey! I'm a newbie at linux and I need some help coz my GUI wont start up. So I tried out ubuntu on my desktop last night by booting from a live cd and i really like it. So then i'm all excited and I downloaded the kubuntu amd 64 dvd iso for my laptop (the one I bring to college) and I tried to live boot from the dvd. Everything goes fine until the screen with the blue kubuntu logo finishes loading with all the checking and the OKs. then the screen goes blank, the cursor blinks two or three times, and then..nothing! i'm sitting there for 3-5 minutes and i'm like...hm somethings wrong. so I tried again..same thing. so then I tried booting from the ubuntu live cd instead and this time, after the loading screen it displays some expressions and then tells me that my X server is not working and probably isn't configured right. and the the next few lines aren't aligned correctly and after that when i hit enter, instead of bringing me to the next screen it just spits out some random characters. I tried again with some booting parameters and the next time I got a bit further..it showed me some information about the ubuntu, linux, and X server versions and then it just does the same thing as before.

Here's some of my hardware specs:
    HP Pavilion zv6000
    15.4" widescreen
    AMD athlon 64
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200M

thanks.

Re: X server problems

I'm not shure (as ever) but I think you should try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 witch should put you outside the xserver. If that works login and write 'sudo invoke-rc.d kdm stop' This should terminate the xserver. Now you can try to reconfigure the xserver using 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' use 'sudo invoke-rc.d kdm start' (press Alt+Ctrl+F7, to get to your desktop) to start it or just write 'startx' if you use startx, it's easier to exit if doesn't work, using Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.

Good luck (or in my native thoung 'tvi tvi')

Comment

Re: X server problems

=/ no luck. for kubuntu live it gets outside xserver after i hit ctrl+alt+f1, but then it still goes blank after a second. for ubuntu live at least it doesn't go blank but goes to the command prompt after getting out of the xserver. i have no idea how to login at this point, but when i type 'sudo invoke-rc.d kdm stop' it gives an error saying that some file doesn't exist. but when i type 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' i can get to the reconfiguration, and after i complete that (i didn't really find anything to reconfigure) i hit startx ( again, 'sudo invoke-rc.d kdm start' gives an error) and then it spits out some expressions .. including:

...(some stuff about symbols not being found)
      (EE) RADEON(0): Failed to open framebufferdrive...
      (EE) RADEON(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed Disabling DRI
      ..(server exits, throws some exception)

what do i do now?

Comment

Working...
      X