This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Feisty 64 bits and new 8800GTS

Also , when I log out of a session (started up by "startx" in recovery mode) i indeed see that i am in root as i see "logout root"
    So how do i not login in root from the recoverymode with startx ??

I appreciate you help very very much

Comment

OK, there is clearly some problem with your user account, that is either unrelated or only incidentally related to the Nvidia driver issue. I believe we have demonstrated that the latest Nvidia driver, installed by Envy, will operate your 8800 GTS card correctly.

Do you remember what I said about a "practice installation"? Because I don't know what all your choices were during the initial installation. If you are willing to follow my direction, I believe we can re-install Kubuntu Feisty, 64-bit kernel, and set up the Nvidia driver for you to use as a normal user. A more knowledgeable Linux guru could probably fix your system without re-installing, but from the remote distance it's very hard (and very slow) to do troubleshooting. Besides, I'm not the Linux guru you need. But I'm pretty confident that I can direct you how to install and end up with a good system.

Comment

Yes please do,

I have one harddisk wich is dedicated to feisty, another with my working systeml with dapper

So I can reinstall the harddisk with feisty or do wathever you say..

Please I am listening

Comment

OK, been out and just got back.

1. Regarding partitioning: if you already set up 3 partitions on your hard drive as follows:

/ = 10GB
          /{swap} = 1GB
          /home = the rest of it

then we can move on. If your partitioning scheme is very different from that, then I would suggest making a GParted Live CD by downloading and burning the image from here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=173828 and use that CD to do the partitioning and set the boot flag on the 10GB partition. No need to do the formatting with GParted.

2. Then you will boot the Kubuntu Feisty Alternate Install CD and I will guide a little bit so that you get a working display right away, as a user (my fingers are crossed, but I think we can do this).

3. Then as a user you will download and install Envy, and run it, and I think we'll get success.

How does that sound?

Comment

sounds good, so the alternate it is then

Comment

What are your CPU, motherboard and RAM?

I think you want this ISO file: kubuntu-7.04-alternate-amd64.iso

Comment

I have a Nvidia platinum Nforce 4 Mb with a AMD 4400 X2 CPU

I will start with this iso

Comment

When you are ready to begin installing Kubuntu, you are going to press F4 and choose a nice screen resolution, like 1024x768, and then you are going to make sure that "Install in Text Mode" is highlighted and you will press Enter to start it.

Comment

ok iam doing it...

Comment

Great - just follow instructions for choosing language, time zone, and all of that. If it asks anything about graphics, just say "VESA", but I don't think it will do that.

When you get to the Partitioner, choose "guided partitioning", and it will show you your hard drive partitions. Highlight each one, and set the mount point, and tell it to format before installing. So,

10GB is mounted as /
                      1GB is mounted as {swap}
                      the big partition is mounted as /home

I like reiserfs filesystem -- it seems to be able to recover from my attempts to break it. But most people use ext3, and I think it is fine.

Comment

wel i installed it in text mode, it did not say anything about vesa but i did set the resolutioen at 1024*768
                        However , after rebooting...same story , he would not show anything except black screen?

Comment

Does either Alt-F1 or Ctrl-Alt-F1 give you a login prompt?

Comment

it does not no..

Coukd it be a bits issue, is the 8800 even working on 64 bits systems?

Comment

No, the video card doesn't care whether it is a 32-bit or a 64-bit OS. I'm running both 32-bit Kubuntu and 64-bit Ubuntu, and I have a 7900 GS card, and it works fine in both systems. But, there are some issues with the 64-bit OS, regarding Adobe Flash and a few other things. If we cannot get your card to work correctly in the 64-bit OS, it would be worth a try in the 32-bit OS.

I was thinking about your problem -- I have an idea to try. If you can boot in recovery mode, and configure it as a VESA display again, it may be possible to change over to your user account while it is a VESA system, and then (as a user) you can download Envy and install the Nvidia driver.

So, go back up to the post where you did
                              Code:
                              sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver.xorg
                              , but when it throws you back to the command line at the end, do Ctrl-Alt-F2 and see if you can log in as a user before you run
                              Code:
                              startx

Comment

Id did that, but with i did ctr-ALT-F2 it shows me a black screen with blinking cursor
                                ALT+F1 shows me back the # root in recovery mode...

I do not understand it why it does work with startx in recovery mode , but not in user mode?

Comment

Working...
                                X