This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transferring windows memory to Linux

I have recently started using Kubuntu , and I think I iwll probably delete windows OS , because Kubuntu is fast and so far has impressed me with its KDE and the way packages are installed , and the console!! I just love everything!

I have 80 GB memory space , out of which currently 70 GB is allocated to XP and 10 GB to Kubuntu , what I want is I want to delete Windows OS , and transfer whole of 70 Gb to Kubuntu , how can I do it?...First of all how do I proceed about deleting windows ??...how do I remove it??..and secondly when I have empty 70 GB space , should I make the 70 Gb a linux drive??..or what , I basically need more space on Linux. And is it possible that (there is 10 GB free memory out of 70 GB in my windows) , Can i transfer these 10 Gb to my linux?? :-X

Re: Transferring windows memory to Linux

I always use
    Code:
    gparted
    to manage my partitions.
    But be warned: Resizing windows partitions might cause data loss.
    Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

btw hard drive space isn't "memory" exactly
      Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

I suspect that within 1 hour of completely deleting windoze, you will realize that you inadvertently erased something absolutely vital, which will be completely irretrievable since you have completely erased windows. A day later, you will find at some website that you use you lost an important password. And several months later, you will find that you can't fill out your tax return because the details of certain transactions are now lost. In other words: Don't be so quick to completely remove windoze. I used Linux for about 10 years before I got rid of windoze (and I still have it on a laptop), but I tend to paranoia, I probably could have ditched it completely after two or three years.

Instead, back up all your data to removable media. Then shrink your windows partition to a minimum, e.g. 15 GB for XP, ?? for Vista. Then reformat the free space as ext3. I seem to recall a recent thread on the forums, here, that included references to sites with instructions for moving either /home or / to the free space.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
          I suspect that within 1 hour of completely deleting windoze, you will realize that you inadvertently erased something absolutely vital, which will be completely irretrievable since you have completely erased windows. A day later, you will find at some website that you use you lost an important password. And several months later, you will find that you can't fill out your tax return because the details of certain transactions are now lost. In other words: Don't be so quick to completely remove windoze. I used Linux for about 10 years before I got rid of windoze (and I still have it on a laptop), but I tend to paranoia, I probably could have ditched it completely after two or three years.

Instead, back up all your data to removable media. Then shrink your windows partition to a minimum, e.g. 15 GB for XP, ?? for Vista. Then reformat the free space as ext3. I seem to recall a recent thread on the forums, here, that included references to sites with instructions for moving either /home or / to the free space.
          "I tend to paranoia",.. uh yeah.
          Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

Working...
          X