This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where is NFS?

I'm reading 1558_Linux+.pdf for the CompTIA certification. It describes NFS for file sharing in a network. Does (k)ubuntu not include this? What does it use for sharing between to linux/unix machines?
    Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Re: where is NFS?

sudo apt-get install nfs-common
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

What does it use for sharing between to linux/unix machines?
      Personally, I just log on to the remote machine with ssh and/or use sftp.

Comment

Since I have windows machines on my network, I just use samba, and it works with both windows and linux machines. Never tried NFS, but have been told it is tricky.

Comment

have been told it is tricky.
          It is a little tricky, which is one reason I don't use it. But, the OP may need to learn it for certification. If so, you'll need more than just the client SW. Use your favorite package manager (which should be Synaptic for certification on Debian based distros) to search on "nfs". You (almost certainly) want the kernel-server. The userspace servers aren't very good, which is another reason I don't use it.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
            But, the OP may need to learn it for certification.
            Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
              Originally posted by askrieger
              But, the OP may need to learn it for certification.
              Good point.
              yup yup
              Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

nfs is easy in my opinion. The one advantage I can see over samba is that it is invisible to yourself in terms of a user.

To save to an nfs share is just like saving to a normal folder on your computer, a program doesn't need to know the protocol.
                Also I personally find it more reliable than samba.

Comment

Originally posted by cyclbatrob
                  nfs is easy in my opinion. The one advantage I can see over samba is that it is invisible to yourself in terms of a user.

To save to an nfs share is just like saving to a normal folder on your computer, a program doesn't need to know the protocol.
                  Also I personally find it more reliable than samba.
                  It's perhaps worthy of note that, for KDE applications, sftp/ssh is almost as transparent thanks to the wonders of the kioslave.

And the major problem I have with NFS is that, if the server goes down (or you change wireless networks) anything that tries to read that part of the file tree hangs indefinitely, be it "ls" or Konqueror's directory tree view.

Comment

Working...
                  X