This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swiftfox vs Firefox

I just read a little bit about Swiftfox and I understand it is a version of Firefox made for Linux. I have had a few problems with Firefox crashing and I am wondering if Swiftfox is better.

Re: Swiftfox vs Firefox

For Kubuntu I hear Konqueror is better.

A good example of this is Konqueror. I never used to use Konqueror as a web browser. Firefox was my browser of choice. Kubuntu has come under some flak from reviewers for not including Firefox by default. However this week I used Konqueror for 99% of my web browsing. The only time I had to switch to Firefox was to download a program that for some reason Konqueror keep trying to open instead of download. Other then that, Konqueror is great. It's rendered every web site I've been too without a problem. It's faster then Firefox and fully integrated with KDE. Linux Format issue 87 has an article entitled 30 cool things you can do with Konqueror and I've had fun experimenting with them.
    [Quote Source http://www.kubuntuforums.net/index.p...home&idu=8492]

Just a suggestion, I wouldn't know personally since I'm still sticking with Firefox. Hope it helps, in case you wanted to change your web browser all together.

Hope to hear back on what you finally decide to do.

Cheers,
    Ash

Comment

I'm using Swiftfox on my 64 bits box and runs like a charm (flash and all) FYI

Regards,

MepisReign
      Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

There are some stuff I can't do with Konqueror. For example, when I get to the "Attach a file" screen in Hotmail, the site says I need to download IE6 or newer, and it never lets me select the file. Just switching to Firefox solves this problem. Not all pages are correctly displayed by Konqueror, but I can browse them anyway.
        And the crashing you refer to may be because of the bugged 2.0 early releases, which had a damn memory leak. After some minutes, Firefox was consuming around 350MB of RAM with 2 tabs opened, and it would close in my face after 20 mins spent on writing an email.
        I'm doing the 32bit Mozilla + Linux32 for flash, didn't try the Swiftfox, but will give it a shot now.

Comment

Taken from http://getswiftfox.com/rel-athlon64.htm:
          Build Information:
          * 32-bit

That's why you play Flash with Swiftfox. It's just a 32bit app packaged for a 64bit environment. It's not a 64bit build.
          You just don't have the hassle to config Pango and Linux32 to run Mozilla, but you don't get anything new either.

Comment

Originally posted by DMurray
            There are some stuff I can't do with Konqueror. For example, when I get to the "Attach a file" screen in Hotmail, the site says I need to download IE6 or newer, and it never lets me select the file.
            You can probably fix that by configuring Konqueror to announce itself as IE6 for sites where this is a problem. Look in the 'Browser Identification' section of Preferences.
            Eric

Comment

They have Firefox for Linux though.. I tried Konqueror but I havent tried it much..
              My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I would like to just use Konqueror I like it better and it is faster but on some things it doesn't work. With gmail the inbox is all messed up and unusable. I tried changing the identification to Firefox and IE and I can log in to one account and it works fine. Then if I log in with another account it's all messed up again until I clear the cache and cookies. Also AOL webmail only sort of works and only on their old platform. With a lot of sites I have to go in and change the identification to get them to work but that is a pain. Is there a way to make it identify itself to all websites as another browser?

Until I can get it to work on all the websites I use I will need another browser. I don't hear anybody swearing by Swiftfox yet.

Comment

Just on a sidenote: the browser identification didn't work for Konqueror to attach files in Hotmail. Tried everything.

Comment

swiftfox is better than firefox, install it.

Comment

Originally posted by DMurray
                      Just on a sidenote: the browser identification didn't work for Konqueror to attach files in Hotmail. Tried everything.
                      Dont use hotmail then, Yahoo! has more space (unlimited) and better spam protection, it actually fiters, where hotmail just puts anything not from ur adresss book into junk, I cant add everyperson in my book, most of my emails are forum notifies anyways..

SPeaking of Micro$oft:

www.microsoft.ca/getthefacts

How come I got that link on this site!!! It says Windoze is better for a server and saves money. I hear Linux is the best server, and windoze costs $$$ and Linux is free.. Whats a microsoft add doing on this site?
                      My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Coming back to the original question: Swiftfox is a Firefox enhanced to your processor. So if you go to the Swiftfox page to download it you would have to say which is your processor. It has better performance, in theory; but I don't know because I am too lazy to compile everything and set it up. But it could give you more performance and quality to your browser activities.

Konqueror is not for me, by the way. It is very hard to customise and is too joined with the system :P. I like the tons of extensions and themes for Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by heylookitsmewow
                          I just read a little bit about Swiftfox
                          Not least for the sake of completeness, you should read that, too: http://www.linux.com/feature/61334

Comment

But it could give you more performance and quality to your browser activities.
                            What exactly? More performance in browsing = faster connection. More quality to browser activities? I was wondering what it could be... better render? Better something?
                            It is natural people use something that is just different than what everybody else uses, even if it is no better or worse. And talking about it being enhanced to the processor, I doubt. It's a 32bit program, so it may have optimizations for 32bit CPUs, but definitely not for 64bit ones.
                            I accept the fact that, for now, it's just a different approach, not better nor worse than what is currently available. Everybody can do it running the 32bit version of Mozilla/Firefox with Linux32 and Pango.
                            It may have an advantage in the future, though.

Comment

Originally posted by allcon
                              swiftfox is better than firefox, install it.
                              I'd like to see a list of the ways SF is better than FF.

Lane
                              Lane Lester
                              The Web Doctor

Comment

Working...
                              X