This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

belkin ups 1500 knutclient

I'm trying to get the program to connect to the ups however nothing I try works. I tried a usb and serial connection but no address I enter works. Any suggestions? I have 6.10 as the OS. If more info is needed please replay. thx

Re: belkin ups 1500 knutclient

Have you looked at this site?

Comment

My settings don't have any of the screens like the site, there isn't anywhere to set the driver, list connections, etc. It asks for the UPS address however I can't seem to identify or communicate with it. It also asks for a username and password however I'm not sure why.

Comment

That's a program that you have to install to make setting up NUT easier. However, what I had failed to notice is that you have to build and install the software yourself (and that the instructions are in Czech)! Accordingly, I withdraw the recommendation, it would be harder for a new user to work through the exercise than it would be to learn to use the NUT interface.

Comment

I actually tried to build and install the program but it fails at the make stage, I don't recall the error. Can anyone tell me how to identify the port address of the ups, it is a serial connection. I tried using kinfo but it doesn't seem to list the information I need.

Comment

By "serial" device, do you mean RS-232 or do you mean USB? If you mean RS-232, (or whatever replaced it with a smaller connector), I can't help you. If you mean USB, you can use the Udev system to permanently mount your UPS whenever you start your computer. Please take a look at this HowTo and this page at the Ubuntu Community Help Wiki.

Comment

Yes I meant the rs-232, I'll try usb at some point. Right now I think I'll switch the ups with a APC and use the the belkin on my XP machine. The hardware support for linux is very frustrating and the main reason I don't switch totally. I've spent days trying the various tutorials to get this working to no avail. Linux is nice for the security and price however it shouldn't be so difficult to get hardware working. I find it unreasonable that you have to configure three or four different files just to communicate with a ups. If I can't get the apc to work I'll go back to XP, this machine is my fileserver and I can't afford to have it down due to power failure. Thank you for your help.

Comment

Well I got the ups working with the belkin driver and a serial connection. I had to add the option user=root to my ups.conf file. I also added user nut to my dialout group. I did some other things to the configuration also but didn't write them down so I can't list them. Thanks to all who advised me.

Comment

I'm glad to hear that you got it working. You might help someone else with the same, or at least a similar problem, if you post your modified ups.conf file.

Comment

Here's my ups.conf file. The only thing left to do is get the ups to shutdown the pc when the battery is low, so far I haven't got it working.

# Network UPS Tools: example ups.conf
                    #
                    # --- SECURITY NOTE ---
                    #
                    # If you use snmp-ups and set a community string in here, you
                    # will have to secure this file to keep other users from obtaining
                    # that string. It needs to be readable by upsdrvctl and any drivers,
                    # and by upsd.
                    #
                    # ---
                    #
                    # This is where you configure all the UPSes that this system will be
                    # monitoring directly. These are usually attached to serial ports, but
                    # USB devices and SNMP devices are also supported.
                    #
                    # This file is used by upsdrvctl to start and stop your driver(s), and
                    # is also used by upsd to determine which drivers to monitor. The
                    # drivers themselves also read this file for configuration directives.
                    #
                    # The general form is:
                    user=root
                    [belkin]
                    driver = belkin
                    port = /dev/ttyS0
                    desc=basement
                    #
                    # The section header ([upsname]) can be just about anything as long as
                    # it is a single word inside brackets. upsd uses this to uniquely
                    # identify a UPS on this system.
                    #
                    # If you have a UPS called snoopy, your section header would be "[snoopy]".
                    # On a system called "doghouse", the line in your upsmon.conf to monitor
                    # it would look something like this:
                    #
                    # MONITOR snoopy@doghouse 1 upsmonuser mypassword master
                    #
                    # It might look like this if monitoring in slave mode:
                    #
                    # MONITOR snoopy@doghouse 1 upsmonuser mypassword slave
                    #
                    # Configuration directives
                    # ------------------------
                    #
                    # These directives are common to all drivers that support ups.conf:
                    #
                    # driver: REQUIRED. Specify the program to run to talk to this UPS.
                    # apcsmart, fentonups, bestups, and sec are some examples.
                    #
                    # port: REQUIRED. The serial port where your UPS is connected.
                    # /dev/ttyS0 is usually the first port on Linux boxes, for example.
                    #
                    # sdorder: optional. When you have multiple UPSes on your system, you
                    # usually need to turn them off in a certain order. upsdrvctl
                    # shuts down all the 0s, then the 1s, 2s, and so on. To exclude
                    # a UPS from the shutdown sequence, set this to -1.
                    #
                    # The default value for this parameter is 0.
                    #
                    # nolock: optional, and not recommended for use in this file.
                    #
                    # If you put nolock in here, the driver will not lock the
                    # serial port every time it starts. This may allow other
                    # processes to seize the port if you start more than one by
                    # mistake.
                    #
                    # This is only intended to be used on systems where locking
                    # absolutely must be disabled for the software to work.
                    #
                    # maxstartdelay: optional. This can be set as a global variable
                    # above your first UPS definition and it can also be
                    # set in a UPS section. This value controls how long
                    # upsdrvctl will wait for the driver to finish starting.
                    # This keeps your system from getting stuck due to a
                    # broken driver or UPS.
                    #
                    # The default is 45 seconds.
                    #
                    #
                    # Anything else is passed through to the hardware-specific part of
                    # the driver.
                    #
                    # Examples
                    # --------
                    #
                    # A simple example for a UPS called "powerpal" that uses the fentonups
                    # driver on /dev/ttyS0 is:
                    #
                    # [powerpal]
                    # driver = fentonups
                    # port = /dev/ttyS0
                    # desc = "Web server"
                    #
                    # If your UPS driver requires additional settings, you can specify them
                    # here. For example, if it supports a setting of "1234" for the
                    # variable "cable", it would look like this:
                    #
                    # [myups]
                    # driver = mydriver
                    # port = /dev/ttyS1
                    # cable = 1234
                    # desc = "Something descriptive"
                    #
                    # To find out if your driver supports any extra settings, start it with
                    # the -h option and/or read the driver's documentation.

Comment

Working...
                    X