This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.deb abd firefox 1.5

Hi. I'm mostly new to linux, and this is the first time I've tried to do a hd install, and I'm having trouble installing some programs. The first one is TrueCrypt. It comes in a .deb file that is optimized for ubuntu, but I can't tell how to install it. I read something about dpkg at a help site but it doesn't work. I get the following error:
    Code:
    julian@ubuntu:~/TrueCrypt$ sudo dpkg -i truecrypt_4.1-0_i386.deb
    (Reading database ... 73843 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking truecrypt (from truecrypt_4.1-0_i386.deb) ...
    Error: Linux kernel version 2.6.12-9-386 required.
    dpkg: error processing truecrypt_4.1-0_i386.deb (--install):
     subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     truecrypt_4.1-0_i386.deb
    I would really like some help with this since I need this program to view my passwords lists that I had on my win box. And now to the second problem: how do you install firefox 1.5 as the default browser? I sort-of installed it in my home directory (that's what I'm posting with), but I don't know how to make it default. In the settings section I found a setting for the default browser but it gave errors every time I tried to load a webpage when I pointed it at the file in my home direrectory. Incidentally, would someone update the version 1.07 in the packages list? 1.5 is more stable that 1.07, so I don't know why adept still has an outdated package. Anyways, thanks for any help I get.

Re: .deb abd firefox 1.5

1. Looks like TrueCrypt depends on the kernel version...I take it your kernel is something different than 2.6.12-9-386 that is required by the package?
    You may browse this for more information:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=96851

2. I don't use Firefox, so I'm not an expert with it, hopefully someone else is...about putting 1.5 to the repos...look here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=96595

Comment

Working...
    X