X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 5.10 repositories

Hi guys!

I am your very new user, and I hope I can help you guys as much as you'll help me

For starters, I am new to Kubuntu, I do have som Ubuntu experience though, so I am familiar with the Terminal, apt-get and dpkg -i, but since I am new to Kubuntu, I'd surely like to ask for some help.

The first problem I've encountered is the source.list-file. I can't seem to get the repositories to work. (I've tried the Kubuntuguide, but that didn't help me much), so my first question to you is:

Is there anyone out there that would be so kind and post their repositories list in this thread?

Sincerely

Torstein

P.S. Does anyone know how to get Canon i850 printer to work under 5.10?

Re: Kubuntu 5.10 repositories

I would suggest this (from aysiu).

http://www.psychocats.net/linux/sources.php

It WILL help.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Thanks Lowey23!

At last, I can update my packages, whithout getting any errors! Very nice, mate!

But i am still experiencing troubles with my Canon i850 (printer), do you have any tips regarding that?

Sincerely

Torstein

Comment

I'm still too new at this myself to help you with your printer problem, but if you could give a little more specific information, I am sure that some of the good people on this forum will be able to assist.

Lowey
        I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Well, I am not sure what kind of information I need to provide, but here goes:

It's a printer from Canon. The model is named i850.

It is plugged into com1 (parallell port)

When using Ubuntu 5.04, all that needed to be done, was adding a new printer, using the BJC 7004 driver, since the i850 isn't supported yet.

The BJC 7004 driver in Kubuntu results in nothing. The printer won't even start the printing!

Any thoughts about this concern?

Comment

Torstein.

I am not sure if you found this link, but it may be of some use?
            http://www.linuxprinting.org/canon-faq.html
            Section 10 has a piece on the Canon i850 and how to set up in Debian, as the drivers are RPM's it shows you how to convert them using Alien www.kitenet.net/programs/alien/ Alien can be downloaded through adept.
            --sorry thought i would add this link. Danielinux from another post had provided this link for help with Alien http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/09/...g-an-rpm-file/
            Hope that helps
            Ste

Comment

Thanks a lot Boilerhouse!

I think the information you provided will be very helpful, I'll surely give it a try in the morning, at the moment it's too late to start such a time consuming project

I noticed in the guide, that I need to convert a .rpm package to .deb using the alien tool. But to be honest, I have spent more time fighting the tool, rather than actually converting any packages...

Whenever I try to convert a .rpm to .deb using this command

Code:
              sudo alien -k /home/torstein/Desktop/skype.rpm
              Nothing happens... It's true, Alien makes no conversion of any packages what so ever, it just leaves the .rpm left, with no changes. Now, that is a bit odd, since the terminal gives an immpression of the conversion being successful...

Any ideas how to make the Alien tool working? Reinstalling it doesn't solve anything...

Sincerely

Torstein

Comment

Torstein

Did you get confimation that the .deb file had been generated? Have you tried opening a console and typing :-

locate bjfilterpixus850i-2.2-1.i386.deb [or whatever the file name was]

There will still be left the RPM file, but now you will have the .deb file too. I have just tried it on mine and got the following results when I ran it in console...

stephen@boiler:~$ sudo alien -k bjfilterpixus850i-2.2-1.i386.rpm
                Password:
                bjfilterpixus850i_2.2-1_i386.deb generated
                stephen@boiler:~$

Ste

Comment

Torstein

Glad its working now since you moved file to your home folder.

Ste

Comment

Originally posted by boilerhouse
                    Torstein

Glad its working now since you moved file to your home folder.

Ste
                    Thanks again Stephen!

About the Canon i850 matter, as I was getting ready to give the driver installation, using the cups and pixus files, a try. It came to my surprise that the the web page hosting them is down...

Do you have another link to the same files, or maybe a direct download? If so, would you be so kind posting them?

Thanks

Torstein

Comment

Torstein

Open a console and do the following:-

wget ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/b...2.2-1.i386.rpm
                      wget ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/b...2.2-1.i386.rpm

This will get them for you...

Ste-Boilerhouse

PS. this link gave me the link for you.

http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/howto/CANON-I850-CUPS (may be some help)

Comment

Stephen, you are a life savior!

Not only did I manage to download the rpm's. I also did a successful conversion of them into the debian-format!

Still, a problem has occured (hehe this is getting old). The downloading and the installation of the packages all the way down to this section (written in the "code-textbox" below) in the guide you provided in the reply above, was a success, but from that point, everything turned a little foggy...

I did the following commands in the console.
                        Code:
                        lpadmin -p i850
                        lpadmin -E
                        lpadmin -v parallel:/dev/lp0
                        As I entered that last command, I got an error filling the console, crying for a name given to the printer:

root@ubuntu:~# lpadmin -v parallel:/dev/lp0
                        lpadmin: Unable to set the device URI:
                                 You must specify a printer name first!
                        How do I give the printer a name? It seems the next steps in the guide are pointless, unless I solve this problem...

Torstein

Comment

Torstein

Sorry I could not get back to you yesterday, its near to Christmush and family are getting demanding.....:-)
                          I am going to have to ask someone to help here, I use cups through http://localhost:631 and am not sure on the implementation of creating a print queue through console.
                          Ste

Comment

Working...
                          X