This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ndiswrapper

I have this installed on kubuntu 5.10 but i don't know how to install windows drivers using it. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Ndiswrapper

JLL
    I wonder if this link may be some help to you http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/support.html
    It has some information that may be of assistance.
    I have seen this post also http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-86221.html
    Is this the kind of thing you are trying to sort?

Ste

Comment

I installed ndiswrapper last night for the first time, to get a strange Netgear WL card working (I didn't see that I was buying the new "v3" version of the card which naturally doesn't use the same chipset as the "v2" version.)

I used these instructions as a guide:
      this long url

A lot of people say that you need to download the tarball for the latest version of ndiswrapper, I didn't do this. Instead I just did 'apt-get install ndiswrapper' and used whatever version got downloaded (did i mention that you need to be connected to the net somehow to do this?).

Then get the Windows XP drivers for the card you want to install. What got me for a long time is that you don't want to move the INF file out of the folder with the other driver stuff -- it made the install fail. So go to the folder with the Win XP driver and do 'sudo ndiswrapper -i [drivername].INF' and it should install it.

If you get back a report that the hardware was found, then you can do 'sudo modprobe ndiswrapper' and it should be available in the GUI menu of the Networking panel for you to configure. Some people recommend checking your system logs before the modprobe step or performing other tests to see if the installation was successful, because modprobe can hang your kernel if things aren't set up right.

Also you might want to look at this page, it looks pretty close to what I did last night (wish i had found it then):
      http://flacknews.blogspot.com/2005/1...reless-in.html

Good luck.

Comment

When i try to install the windows drivers it says it's installed and then when i check with "ndiswrapper -l" it tells me there is an error i cant remember the error im currently on a windows pc posting this. The linux one has no internet connection. I am sure it says something like invalid driver or something and when i check the ndiswrapper folder there is a folder called driver (driver being the inf file name) but there is nothing in it and no drivers have been copied.

Comment

Might be the windows driver that you are trying to use. I got mine to work using the XP driver, but other people I've read have had luck using other version's drivers.

Also you need to make sure that you're keeping all the files that came with the driver together -- it's not just the INF file that's important, but also (at least in my case) the sys file. If I tried to install the file without the sys file in the same directory as the INF, I got a bad driver created.

Comment

I am keeping the .inf and .sys file in the same folder but it still comes up with
            Code:
            installed
            net8180     invalid driver
            I will try with different drivers and report back here.

EDIT: I used the windows 2000 drivers and they were installed and kubuntu now recognises the wireless card. Only, now the password for "administrator mode" inisde the network config area doesn't work. This is the root password, correct? The root password works no-where now, i either get an error message or it merely does nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by jesuses left leg
              now the password for "administrator mode" inisde the network config area doesn't work. This is the root password, correct? The root password works no-where now, i either get an error message or it merely does nothing.
              This question has been asked many times on kubuntuforums, just use the search feature.
              cheers!
              -=|From the desk of|=-
              «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
              «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
              «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
              Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

Sorry, so i fixed that and now when i try and enable my wireless card it enables it and then it is immediately disabled or it says enabling and never finishes. What could be causing that (searched and found nothing useful).

Comment

Originally posted by jesuses left leg
                  Sorry, so i fixed that and now when i try and enable my wireless card it enables it and then it is immediately disabled or it says enabling and never finishes. What could be causing that (searched and found nothing useful).
                  So it's recognizing the WL card, but not enabling it?

Not really sure what to say, but it sounds like the problem might be more specific to your card. You might have more luck searching based on the name of the card or chipset; there might be something specific that you need to do to get it working. Mine pretty much worked once I got the windows driver installed through ndiswrapper and ran modprobe successfully.

Comment

Thanks, i guess i'll just have to search around. If anyone else has anything to add... much appreciated and thanks anyway .

Comment

Working...
                    X