X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me! plzzz!

OK! Couple questions:

1.) I properly installed World of Warcraft, i opened it up, to my suprise the screen res changed to 800x600 (use to be 1280x1024), it was so laggy i couldn't type in my username and pass, and the graphics were horrible....i tried to use my Nvidia disk to install the video drivers, but it kept freezing. help!!!!! How can i get drivers installed so the graphics are bareable

2.) I tried to install DirectX 9.0 and it said something about not trusting a cabinet lol....how can i get DirectX installed?

Thank you for your time!

Re: Help me! plzzz!

I'm afraid your cd contains drivers for WINDOWS.

1.Did you install nvidia drivers for Linux?

2. What are you using to run wow? (wine,cedega, something else?)

3. If you have drivers installed, have you enabled glx?
    Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

http://www.wowwiki.com/Linux/Wine

Comment

Originally posted by Gediminas2

1.) I havent isntalled any drivers, it keeps freezing when i start the CD

2.) Wine

3. whats glx? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxnubcake
          Originally posted by Gediminas2

1.) I havent isntalled any drivers, it keeps freezing when i start the CD

2.) Wine

3. whats glx? lol
          As I said before, the CD most probably contains windows drivers only.
          To install drivers for Linux you should use either nvidia-glx or the drivers from nvidia.com

I don't know exactly what glx is but it has something to do with 3D rendering.
          to see if you have glx working run
          Code:
          glxgears
          in the konsole.
          You then see gears rotating. If everything is ok , you should see the gears rotating smoothly and the console outpup would look like this:

gediminas@monstertux:~$ glxgears
          9880 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1975.959 FPS

I use drivers from www.nvidia.com because they work for me. (sometimes I had to install them on every boot, but that's not a problem)

Now in case you still need to install th drivers heres what you should do :

1. go to nvidia.com and download the drivers for Linux. I suggest saving them in your home directory.

2. logout KDE and login in the console

3. cd to the directory where you have the drivers downloaded to (if you have saved them in your home directory, skip this step)

Code:
          sudo sh NV*.run
          5. if you have installed drivers without error messages, then test it
          Code:
           startx
          6. If you installed the drivers and startx doesn't start for some odd reason, don't panic,
          Code:
          sudo vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf
          and change the driver from "nvidia" to "nv"
          Code:
          startx
          Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

The easiest way to get the nvidia drivers (and have them installed for you. automagically) is to use the Kubuntu repositories. Start Adept (K>System>"Adept Manager"). Enter your password when requested. In the search box type "nvidia-glx" You will see 6 entries. Click on the next-to-last one "nvidia-glx-new". Read the description to see whether you want nvidia-glx, "nvidia-glx-legacy", or "nvidia-glx-new". It will depend on the age of your video card. You DO NOT WANT anything named "*-dev" at this time in your life. Click on "request install" for the package that you need.

Then right click on the desktop. Click on "Run Command". Enter "kdesu kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf", without the quotation marks. Be careful, YOU WILL BE GRADED ON SPELLING AND PUNCTUATION and computers are much stricter than your third grade teacher was. Look for a stanza that says something like:
            Code:
            Section "Device"
            	Identifier	"nVidia Corporation GeForce 7300 LE"
            	Driver		"nv"
            	BusID		"PCI:3:0:0"
            EndSection
            change the driver line to say: "nvidia" WITH the quotation marks. Save the file.

The next time that you start Linux, you should see the nvidia logo flash on during the boot. If so, you're done. If not, come back here to report on the problem and we'll try to get you going.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
              YOU WILL BE GRADED ON SPELLING AND PUNCTUATION and computers are much stricter than your third grade teacher was.
              Good one, Al!

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                Originally posted by askrieger
                YOU WILL BE GRADED ON SPELLING AND PUNCTUATION and computers are much stricter than your third grade teacher was.
                Good one, Al!
                Yeah that would make a good bumper sticker.
                Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

Working...
                X