This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Equivalent Newsreader to PAN?

Is there a KDE equivalent newsreader to PAN in terms of decoding and grouping multi-part articles?

Re: KDE Equivalent Newsreader to PAN?

The only thing close is Klibido http://klibido.sf.net/, though Pan is much more mature. It can be installed via apt/synaptic, it is in Universe.

The klibido website waaay at the bottom mentions that the debian package does not work in (K)Ubuntu, but as we have our own package I believe that is no longer accurate.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the reply. I installed Klibido and gave it a quick try but I think that I will stick with Pan for now. Klibido seems to be a useful program but it does not seem to have an intuitive feel about it. I am surprised that there isn't a KDE newsreader that is equal to or better than Pan, but I guess people do not use newsreaders as much now.

Comment

yeah, p2p seems to have lessened the need for binary (ie images and warez) newsgroups

Comment

Originally posted by Carl
          Hey, thanks for the reply. I installed Klibido and gave it a quick try but I think that I will stick with Pan for now. Klibido seems to be a useful program but it does not seem to have an intuitive feel about it. I am surprised that there isn't a KDE newsreader that is equal to or better than Pan, but I guess people do not use newsreaders as much now.
          Newsreaders are still popular both in Windows (Agent 3.0) and in Linux. I like PAN also but there is another newsreader you might want to try. "Knode".
          It's in the repositories. There's also the Mozilla suite but that's overkill.

Regards.

Comment

But neither handles binary files very well

As an aside, Agent runs nearly flawlessly under wine, it is a good prog to start playing around with there.

Comment

I must be missing something with the P2P stuff because I still prefer newsgroups. With newsgroups I know that I can find what I want, but with the P2P stuff I feel like there must be more to it than what I have seen.

Comment

Working...
              X