This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resizing XP partition

I can't install kubuntu on my laptop. It uses XP. Is this the problem? Can the installer resize a NTFS partition, or do I need to do something else (eg change it to FAT 32 first)?

Re: Resizing XP partition

You can try QTParted, but be warned, NTFS may cause troubles. So backup in important data on the ntfs partition. Then go for it.

Cheers

Comment

Follow this tutorial:
      http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p3.htm
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Hi,

By the way I am new to linux too.
        I have had to do a couple kubuntu, ubuntu installs on laptops and desktops for myself and my friends,

First thing to do is boot into windows and then click my computer and find your c:/ drive, right click your c:/ drive and go to properties, find out how big your hard drive is and how much is left free. If you have enough left unused I would say at least 20gig, then you can go ahead with the install.

Put in the install cd and restart the computer, most laptops you have to hit a key during the very begining of boot up to swith the boot order, like on an HP laptop right after the Post mem screen(after I turn it on) I have to hit the esc key, then I can choose to boot from the cd.

Once you get to the partioner that comes in the install cd for kubuntu, there will be a couple of options, like erase the entire drive and reformat, but the one you want to do is either "use free space on hda1" or manually edit the partion wich will allow you to use guided partioning of the free space available on your ntfs drive, I have even reduced my ntfs drive from 40gig to 13 gig and used the rest for kubuntu without data loss on my ntfs drive, after you resize or make new partions, kubuntu will ask to install GRUB, wich is a boot loader that is the first thing that starts up when you turn your comp on after the full install is done, it gives you a time out limit to be able to pick wich operating system you want to boot into, (k)Ubuntu will be listed first with a safe mode under it and a mem test mode as well then it will have a divider that says "Other operating Systems"
        and it will list windows XP as a choice.

Hope this helps!
        Good Luck
        &quot;Time fades even legend&quot;<br />-Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Comment

Thank you all, but this hasn't helped for some sad reason any attempt to resize the partition just fails. I don't want to reformat the drive and start from scratch if I can help it. So far I tried using live CDs of ubuntu and knoppix, but I just can't resize NTFS partitions

I take it it IS possible to resize an NTFS partition? I can't convert it to FAT 32.

If it's any help, it's a Compaq R4000 laptop, so I can't put in another drive

Comment

Originally posted by Xena
            Thank you all, but this hasn't helped for some sad reason any attempt to resize the partition just fails. I don't want to reformat the drive and start from scratch if I can help it. So far I tried using live CDs of ubuntu and knoppix, but I just can't resize NTFS partitions

I take it it IS possible to resize an NTFS partition? I can't convert it to FAT 32.

If it's any help, it's a Compaq R4000 laptop, so I can't put in another drive
            I suspect your Compaq has a hidden restore partition sitting in the way. Usually the hidden restore partition is formatted as FAT-32 and provides a way to restore your Windows XP configuration should anything go wrong. The remainder of the hard drive is formatted as NTFS. That configuration complicates the resizing of the drive and may leave you without a way to restore XP if you should wipe or move the hidden partition.

What you might try is a copy of Partition Magic which offers better control over resizing, moving and unhiding partitions than the comparable Linux utility - QTParted. However, the same warning goes - be careful not to disturb the hidden restore partition unless you are sure you are never going to need it.

Regards from Texas.

Comment

Why thank you. I was just coming to the conclusion that I have a damaged disk for some reason and was just about to reformat!

Since I don't really plan "restoring" Win XP (and I got the recovery CD anyway) I guess I'm safe enough to reformat and reinstall XP and linux (after, of course, having partitioned the drive....)?

Comment

Please look at the link I posted earlier in the thread.
                Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

I did, and I followed the steps, but it refuses to work no matter what.

As do various other partition resizing tools like QTpart on th knoppix live CD. It simply won't resize and throws up an error ("resize operation failed").

Comment

I'm experiencing the same problem. HP Pavilion xv6000 With Athlon 64 ML3200. I get an error when trying to resize the partition every time. I have 40 GB free space and have defragged. What's going on?

Comment

Yup - been there - seen it...

This problem is due to the fact that aan some machines XP will create a "dynamic disk" which is a special way of handling the partition table - and there is currently no way to repartition this type of disk with linux. Only chance I had was to reinstall. Sorry guys.
                      B.

Comment

Working...
                      X