X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kUBUNTU 7.04 Won't Install...

Hi all,
    Just got by Kubuntu 7.04 yesterday by Shipit. I tested the CD to make sure everything is OK, when installing the Kubuntu logo show with the progress bar, but later it tries to detect by hardware and the installation freezes. Please help...

PS> I am using Windows XP SP1, using Acronis OSSelector and wish to install on the same HDD. I did setaside 10GB (Linux Ex3) for Kubuntu + 4GB for Linux Swap (I don't know what the last one is but read it is needed).

Re: kUBUNTU 7.04 Won't Install...

Strange. And where exactly does your install freeze?
    Can you boot the livecd, or does it already freeze when doing that?

Comment

I'm having the same problem. If i switch over to the verbose startup under ctrl+alt+F1 it will freeze on random starting processes. For instance, the HP imaging and printing package, Bluetooth service, etc. It is totally random, and I don't believe it has anything to do with the processes themselves. I can sometimes make it to X, but it will freeze before loading the desktop.

I chose the option to check memory, and to check the integrity of the CD and both check out. I do not see any I/O errors from my cdrom. I've tried installing from a burned ISO on both DVD and CD. Coincidentally, I can install the Ubuntu Feisty alternate CD with text only installation. I can run Kubuntu on my laptop with little problem (sometimes I get freezes where it seems like the keyboard has stopped responding) Here are my desktop specs:

AMD Sempron 3300+
      1GB RAM
      NVidia GeForce 6200
      approx 26BG allocated to / with 1GB swap
      Dual boot with WinXP Pro

Comment

I had a situation with an AMD that was similar.. Hung up on install. I put Edgy on it instead and it installed just fine. Was then going to do a version upgrade, but the hard drive since went south and I haven't touched it since. I thought this was because I was using the beta iso of fiesty. (I should download the latest ISO)
        Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

Isn't the swap too big? Did you set to 1GB/4GB even with the installer saying it can't be bigger than 125MB?

Comment

Have you tried changing any of your boot options? I had a similar problem that turned out to be a ACPI conflict. I disabled ACPI while booting off the CD and it worked like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by adv1_star_11
              Hi all,
              Just got by Kubuntu 7.04 yesterday by Shipit. I tested the CD to make sure everything is OK, when installing the Kubuntu logo show with the progress bar, but later it tries to detect by hardware and the installation freezes. Please help...

PS> I am using Windows XP SP1, using Acronis OSSelector and wish to install on the same HDD. I did setaside 10GB (Linux Ex3) for Kubuntu + 4GB for Linux Swap (I don't know what the last one is but read it is needed).
              Could you turn off all unnecessary devices in your bios and try to reinstall? Can you do a verbose install in which you can determine exactly what hardware it is freezing on. More information on your hardware could be helpful, As well. Anything original, rare, or cutting edge tech?

Swap is like Windows Virtual Ram. Except it is on its own partition. It is probably safer and faster that way. I think linux recomends twice your system RAM as a swap. So if you got 2 gigs of RAM you SHOULD have 4 gigs of swap. I think that is insane. I have 2 gigs of RAM and only 1 gig of swap. And I have yet to use 1 mb of my swap space. Linux is less resource hungry than windows, and likes to use physical ram instead of virtual ram. One reason why it is faster.

Comment

@posters: adv1 (the OP) disappeared after his one message. This thread was revived (hijacked) by megan a month later, who isn't wasting disk with an enormous swap partition.

@megan: Some motherboards for AMD processors don't emulate the Intel Advanced Peripheral Interrupt Controller properly. They do this because M$ doesn't use all of the published specs, or something like that, I read up on Wikipedia about it when I had the problem.

The solution is HERE (works with the Alternate Installation disk). I haven't tried with the Desktop CD. After installation just add the phrase "noapic" to the "defoptions" line in /etc/boot/grub/menu.lst, so that it looks something like this
                # defoptions=quiet splash noapic
                DON'T REMOVE the '#' character!

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                  @posters: adv1 (the OP) disappeared after his one message. This thread was revived (hijacked) by megan a month later, who isn't wasting disk with an enormous swap partition.
                  DOH! I guess it pays to read the dates

Also, I'd say 4 gigs of swap is too much :P. It depends on how much system RAM you have (Like I explained above.) I got 2 gigs of RAM and 1 gig of swap, and other than suspend/hibernate, I have yet to touch the swap. MS recommends the swap being x1.5 of the physical RAM (I think 'buntu recommends x2 physical RAM) This is probably correct for most situations. Of course, what is 4 gigs if you got 150 gigs or more.

Comment

Yep. I've got 4GB of RAM, and 1.5 GB of swap, and I've never seen 1 byte of swap space used, even when running 2 instances of Gnome Wave Cleaner on two audio files, that sucks up 100% of both CPU cores. So, I'm not a big fan of a lot of swap space -- I think these fast CPUs and SATA drives have kinda overcome the need for much swap space.

Comment

Working...
                    X