root (hd0,0)
    kernel ??
    quiet splash ??
    initrd ??
    quiet ??
    savedefault ??

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=UUID=d077e9d2-06d3-4105-a557-079179b178bf ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic
    quiet
    savedefault

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic (recovery mode)
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=UUID=d077e9d2-06d3-4105-a557-079179b178bf ro single
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic

title Ubuntu, memtest86+
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
    quiet
    Vista is installed on the first partition {C:\ or (hd0,0)} And I installed it before kubuntu, so I guess Vista doesn't get spotted like XP did.
    Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Re: Grub and Vista

title Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader)
    root (hd0,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

That should be all that you would need for Vista.

Comment

When I try to boot from the vista menu (above)
      A kernel file is missing from the disk insert a system diskette annnd restart the system.

Comment

try this:
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1

Comment

so it should look like this?
          root (hd0,0)
          savedefault
          makeactive
          rootnoverify (hd0,0)
          chainloader +1

Comment

Can't say off the top of my head but check this site out.
            It is very thorough about grub info and entries.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzo...system_Entries

Lots of info there, Have not read it all myself.

Comment

My current grub entry
              root (hd0,0)
              makeactive
              rootnoverify (hd0,0)
              chainloader +1
              My current error message when selecting vista to boot into
              A kernel file is missing from the disk. Insert a system diskette and restart the system.
              What sucks is... that before the wife dumped coffee into my keyboard and fried out my hard drive, I had kubuntu and vista working great together.

Comment

I think that you're going to have to get in contact with Dell. Don't despair, though. If you have gold service, many of the people who answer the phone have actually TRIED Linux and some USE it. When Dell shipped your computer the first two partitions on the original hard drive contained a collection of diagnostic routines and a compressed replacement for your OS and it's device drivers. My recollection of the process when Dell replaced the dead HD in wife's desktop (53 days before the 3 yr. warranty ran out) was that I had to restore all that stuff manually by downloading it from Dell. That may be the source of your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                  I think that you're going to have to get in contact with Dell. Don't despair, though. If you have gold service, many of the people who answer the phone have actually TRIED Linux and some USE it. When Dell shipped your computer the first two partitions on the original hard drive contained a collection of diagnostic routines and a compressed replacement for your OS and it's device drivers. My recollection of the process when Dell replaced the dead HD in wife's desktop (53 days before the 3 yr. warranty ran out) was that I had to restore all that stuff manually by downloading it from Dell. That may be the source of your problem.
                  Nope... I completely formated and destroyed all partitions with BOTH hard drives. I put Vista on partition 1 and kubuntu on 2 with both drives. The dell diagnostics crap was installed on partition 1 when I got the computer, and when I got the replacement drive. This replacement drive was an image also, so it had all that stuff too. No, I'm pretty sure that my problem is in GRUB not loading vista correctly.

UPDATE:
                  I give myself the stupid user award. I've been messing with this grub file tryin to figure out what is up for awhile now. On a whim I tried to access sda1 (my Vista partition) via konk and it opened a blank directory. I was like.. "WTF?!" As it turns out. I must have formated the vista partition while installing kubunut, as I installed kubunut second. No wonder grub couldn't find a kernel. So I reinstalled Vista, and then reinstalled GRUB, cause Vista can't leave stuff alone. And then the above grub settings booted it right up.

Comment

"stupid user award" I don't know if we need an award for that. I for one, would not have enough room in my house to store all of the trophies.

Glad you figured it out.

Mike
                    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

You know, Ant2ne, there’s a rule about computers: If it ain’t broken, don’t try to fix it.
                      Having said that, if you feel up to a risky adventure, the following menu.lst entry for Vista would be enough, and makeactive is probably optional:

Title Vista Whatever
                      rootnoverify (hd0,0)
                      makeactive
                      chainloader +1
                      boot

And as for The Stupid User Award, I think we'd all have so many "stupid mistakes/oversights," that the number would be essentially countably infinite for each of us, and we'd all be tied.

Mike
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                      X