This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VMWare not installing

I'm trying to get some windows programs working that don't work in WINE, so I installed the vmware player using the Add/Remove Programs. I read a bit more and I discovered I actually wanted the server, so I uninstall it, download the server, and try to run the install file. When I do, it returns:
    A previous installation of VMware software has been detected.

Failure

Execution aborted.
    I searched my computer for "vm" and discovered a vm folder in proc/sys/, a file in proc/dri/0/, and some folders in various usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-XX/generic/include/config and XX/include/config folders (4 of these). I can't get rid of any of them, and I don't know this OS well enough to delete this stuff. Can anyone help me out?
    Love &amp; Peace,<br />RealityRipple

Re: VMWare not installing

vmplayer leaves some config stuff in /etc, so you will need to delete the folder /etc/vmware.
    You may also try running the uninstall script that comes with vmware server, that should remove it for you.

So, to delete this folder yourself, go to Kmenu - Run command - then 'kdesu konqueror' to open your filemanager with admin privileges.Then you can browse to the /etc directory and delete the offending folder.

You don't want to delete any of the files/folders other than this one.

Comment

@Claydoh: Saying "sudo rm -rf {anything}" in the Newbie Support forum. Bite your typing fingers!

@RealityRipple: BE VERY, VERY, VERY careful when you type that command. If you put a space in the wrong place you can trash your computer.

Comment

I stand corrected, then , but as the OP seems to be using the terminal.....

corrected above

Comment

I got it done. Don't worry about me being new to computers. I learned to program a Commodore 128 when I was 7 . I just haven't had a working installed distro of linux yet (mostly messing around with knoppix up until now). I must say, I feel pretty at home on this OS already. Thanks for your help.
          Love &amp; Peace,<br />RealityRipple

Comment

do a search with vmware and my name. Helpful post.
            Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

Working...
            X