This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop dvd drive weirdness?!

I'm sure it's something I need to install (I have ...libdvd3?) but would be nice for future reference to have the answer.

I wanted to install a fresh system on my laptop with the free, shiny new cd's I received from Kubuntu (very nice of them!). However, when placed in the drive at boot it didnt appear to work (booted off HDD), so I tried (when running Kubuntu):

Kubuntu disk - didn't work
    DVD - didn't work
    CD - didn't work
    PS2 Game - didn't work

Self burnt audio cd - did work!

So the drive isn't broken, but I need something in order to get it to read these things (I can't believe Kubuntu Disk has any encryption?)

Re: Laptop dvd drive weirdness?!

Have you checked that your BIOS is set when booting to scan the cd/dvd drive first?

Comment

Hi, cheers for the reply

Yep, the BIOS is set to check cd/dvd before HDD - trouble seems to be that my drive can only read burnt cd's (I'm trying to dig out a burnt dvd to see if that works)

Comment

no-one seen this before

It appears that if the disk (DVD or CD) is "original" the drive just doesn't spin up?? Just some clicking noises - any kind of burnt disk (DVD or CD) spins up straight away

Comment

I think your drive is very, very sick. If your box is under is still under warranty, I'd hurry up to complain.

Comment

Well, thinking that you may well be correct askrieger, I plugged a CD-ROM into my usb to IDE connector and put a CD in - it played.

So, being that I gotten some good advice I decided and my drive was fooked, I figured I'd push the laser arm up as far as it would go - wiggle it, fart on it, hit it and shout some nasty stuff (13 months old - 12 month warranty), put a DVD in and....... well I'll be, took a few seconds, but there it was - Inspector Gadget in colour!! (my sons, honest).

Yes, I had cleaned the lense before all this - my advice (and this is really bad advice), if it's broken, what the hell, break it some more - it may just work!

Comment

Working...
            X