This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

screen resolution

When I boot from the livecd I can specify screen resolution. After I install all I get is 640x480, which is worthless. I have tried to edit "xorg.conf" and failed. I have tried "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and failed. I had it working once a few days ago, but am about ready to throw the whole thing away if I can't solve this issue.

Bob

Re: screen resolution

Not sure if you did this or not, Bob, but did you add sudo to the start of your command?

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

If you did this, and got a failure right away, could you post the output of the command here to give a bit of an idea of what's going wrong.

Cheers

Lowey
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Yes - I tried to work my way through a considerable number of questions and got stuck when when hitting enter on an "OK" didn't move on the next screen. It is extremely frustrating when you can set resolution with livecd but cannot do so when you install. I don't leave my machine on all the time.

Bob

Comment

Hi all, first post here so please be gentle.

I had a similar problem. My screen resolution was limited to 800x600.
        I used the System Settings>Monitors & Display utility to correct my vid card details (from "S3 Savage" to "S3 Savage4 (generic)" with 32MB video RAM, but I was still limited to 800x600.

I re-booted. I checked and edited various config files as suggested to other posters but still no joy.

I then changed my monitor to one that matched the model details in the back of my monitor and HEY PRESTO! resolutions up to 1600x?somethingIcantRemember are available.

This was not quite as easy as it sounds because my monitor says OPTIQ on the front, and there is no OPTIQ in the list of monitors under system settings.

A look at the back revealed KOU FENG CORPORATION and P/N CA6746SL. I was able to find a matching part number under the KFC monitors,

Its a bit of a long shot, but maybe it is your monitor setting rather than your vid card setting that is limiting your screen resolution.

Cheers

Buick

Comment

Working...
        X