This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install refuses to cooperate

I've dealt with Red Hat and SuSE, and it's only when I have changed to the "User Friendly" Linux version that I am becoming suicidal over getting the @#$#&%#!$&! install completed!

Okay, here's where we are. Downloaded Kubuntu CD, burned, dropped into machine, loaded. Select "Run or Install", GUI comes up, looks pretty. Switch to console, created root password, plus a user to log in with. Adjusted my screen settings so windows were all visible. So far, happy camper.

(And please, let's not get bogged down with the logging in as 'root' debate: nobody wins, and I haven't got the time...)

Select 'Install' from the menu. It asks for a root password, trying to initialize the /usr/lib/ubiquity/bin/ubiquity app. I type in the root password I *just* created, it tells me it's the wrong password. So I click 'ignore', but the window just closes and nothing happens. Go through this exercise 10 times, same result.

So I say, all right, I can log in as root and execute the app from the command line. So I log in as my newly-created user, open a console, su over to root, and try to execute the app. It tells me it can't initiate the X console.

I'm no Linux guru by any stretch of the imagination, but for the love of all things Penguin, what the @#$!$$!#$! is going on here? ANY help or hints would be greatly appreciated, I need this install completed this weekend. Thanks in advance.

- Skimbo

Re: Install refuses to cooperate

I suspect that you used the OEM install

OEM Installation
    The OEM installation mode creates the graphical desktop, but creates the user account oem with the password oem. This account can be used to customize the system. After the install, you can run the oem-config script if you need to change any of the original installation responses, or oem-config-prepare to remove the temporary oem account and enable configuration prompting during the next boot (for end-user configuration). This is an ideal choice for installers who know that they will be customizing the system and removing the installation account before the system is passed to someone else. (From http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2132609,00.asp)

So, log on as oem with the password oem then open a terminal and input:
    sudo oem-config-prepare
    and follow your nose.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Don't reach for that dull bamboo knife, yet, Skim -- I think we can save you!

Actually, it looks maybe you know TOO MUCH about *nix, and that prior knowledge is affecting your willingness to just let installer take care of things for you.

First, since you've met Linux before, you may want to choose the "Alternate" installation CD image, since it lets you play Master Partitioner before you install -- don't know if you want a separate /home directory partition, so your favorite pie recipes wont be at risk when you change OS -- just a thought.

OK, forget all about "root" and "root user" and all of that. You're in Ubuntu world now and we don't fool with such things. We have the Super User, and that will soon be you!

Using either the CD you have, or the Alternate install CD, do not attempt logging in to a console and creating anything. Just start the installation routine, direct the language and time zone choices, and then the placement of directories on your partitions, and when the chosen moment arrives, you will be asked for your name and your password. Since you are the original installer, this name and password will be able to execute the functions that you have previously associated with the "root user". Not automatically -- you will have to precede the commands with a "su", or "kdesu", and your password, which tell the system that the Super User is doing these commands.

So, try it again without attempting any preliminary console feats first, and then later when your video doesn't work, you'll have plenty of time to play in the console (ooops, did I say that?).

EDIT: Yep, arochester gives good advice, and faster too! :P

Comment

Compadres, that has done it. I'm installed, monitor is configured, I'm updating the packages as we speak, and girding up to install on PC #2. MANY thanks for the rescue, good luck to you both.

Probably won't be the last time I'm on here whining for help, mind you...

Comment

Excellent news -- thanks for letting us know how you came through! 8)

Comment

Working...
          X