This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error Installing Java

Hi! I'm a newbie to Kubuntu 7.04 and I am trying to install Java. I have tried several things and now I am getting the following error:

Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
    Writing extended state information... Done
    Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty/multiverse sun-java6-bin 6-00-2ubuntu2 [26.2MB]
    Get:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty/multiverse sun-java6-jre 6-00-2ubuntu2 [6324kB]
    Fetched 32.5MB in 2m1s (269kB/s)
    E: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...ntu2_i386.deb: MD5Sum mismatch
    anthony@anthony-desktop:~$

What is a MD5Sum mismatch error anyway? Is there anyway to rectify this? Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: Error Installing Java

An MD5sum is a method of matching the downloaded file to the original file to insure they are exactly the same. an error indicates that they are not the same and you should not use the file. Best thing to do in this case is to just start over and try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
      An MD5sum is a method of matching the downloaded file to the original file to insure they are exactly the same. an error indicates that they are not the same and you should not use the file. Best thing to do in this case is to just start over and try again.
      Err...What do you mean by 'start over'? Completely install Kubuntu or something else?

Comment

No, just start over with your JRE install.

Comment

No, just start over with your JRE install.
          This is the procedure that I am trying to use to reinstall Java. Is this correct?

sudo aptitude clean
          sudo aptitude update
          sudo aptitude install sun-java6-jre sun-java6.plugin sun-java6.font
          java -version

Comment

I searched on "sun" in Synaptic and I found packages named sun-java6-bin, sun-java6-demo. sun-java6-fonts, sun-java6-jre, and sun-java6-source, but no sun-java6.plugin, or sun-java6.font Also (as I recall, from my sun-java install) when you try to install, you must accept a license for the installation to go to completion. I don't know whether Aptitude allows you to do that. Adept does not, but both apt-get and synaptic do.

Installing the documentation is also a minor ordeal, as I recall, because you don't actually install the documentation, rather you install a program that install the documentation after you download the documentation from Sun, which (I suspect) you can do without installing the Kubuntu package.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
              I searched on "sun" in Synaptic and I found packages named sun-java6-bin, sun-java6-demo. sun-java6-fonts, sun-java6-jre, and sun-java6-source, but no sun-java6.plugin, or sun-java6.font Also (as I recall, from my sun-java install) when you try to install, you must accept a license for the installation to go to completion. I don't know whether Aptitude allows you to do that. Adept does not, but both apt-get and synaptic do.

Installing the documentation is also a minor ordeal, as I recall, because you don't actually install the documentation, rather you install a program that install the documentation after you download the documentation from Sun, which (I suspect) you can do without installing the Kubuntu package.
              So does that mean I can just run the following?

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6.fonts

Comment

It means you can run the command
                Code:
                sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-fonts
                NOTE THE HYPHEN in the name of the fonts package. You are graded on spelling and punctuation! Also, if you have been installing stuff with Aptitude, you may have to stick with it. I believe (although, I'm not sure) that Aptitude maintains a different data base than Apt, etc.

Comment

Try:
                  Code:
                  sudo aptitude install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts
                  You won't need the documentation, if you do I think you can view it online.

Note the "-" instead of a "." in the file names.

Comment

askrieger is quicker on the submit button than me

Post back when you get it successfully installed because there is one more step involved to get it to be the default Java.

Comment

askrieger is quicker on the submit button than me

Post back when you get it successfully installed because there is one more step involved to get it to be the default Java.
                      AARGGH. No matter what I do, I still get the same checksum error. I tried update and even --fix-missing to no avail.

Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
                      Writing extended state information... Done
                      Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty/multiverse sun-java6-bin 6-00-2ubuntu2 [26.2MB]
                      Get:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty/multiverse sun-java6-jre 6-00-2ubuntu2 [6324kB]
                      Fetched 32.5MB in 2m1s (269kB/s)
                      E: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...ntu2_i386.deb: MD5Sum mismatch
                      anthony@anthony-desktop:~$

Is there ANYTHING that I can do to fix this?

Comment

I suspect that indicates a problem in the repository. I would try a different set of repositories. Save your /etc/apt/sources.list as /etc/apt/sources.list.bak or something, then change to your favorite national repository e.g "us.archive.ubuntu.com" or whatever your country code is.

Comment

I'm assuming that you are tying to pull both files down at the same time. The first file is very large. I don't know what your connection is like, but you may want to attempt pulling the first file separately. Checksum errors can occur even if the file is intact (at the site you are retrieving it from).
                          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                            I'm assuming that you are tying to pull both files down at the same time. The first file is very large. I don't know what your connection is like, but you may want to attempt pulling the first file separately. Checksum errors can occur even if the file is intact (at the site you are retrieving it from).
                            I tried to download just the bin package with the same error. I seem to be able to install other packages without issue. Is there anyway to 'verify' the repository that I am pulling from? Could there be other reasons that I am getting the error? I have tried multiple times. Should I be 'cleaning up' the old download attempts first in some way? Finally, I am using a wireless router to connect the computer. Could I be experiencing dns or other network issues? How could I check for them?

Sorry for all the questions. I am pretty clueless about Linux. I was initially excited about how easy Kubuntu was to install, but this issue has sort of soured the experience for me...

Comment

Frankly, there are all sorts of reasons to use a wired internet connection instead of wireless, but as far as I know, DNS isn't one of them. That's a one-time transaction for any website contact. In fact, depending on architecture, your router may maintain a DNS cache of its own. A weak signal inside your home, COULD mess up a long download, but TCP/IP is an error-correcting protocol so that you should see downloads getting longer due to retries, rather than seeing long downloads getting buggier.

I'm still inclined to suspect a bad copy at the repository. If all you want is the JRE, you don't need the Sun package, you could use Blackdown package instead. You can even use the Gnu GCJ package instead of the Sun SDK, but I think you should try your local repos first.

Comment

Working...
                              X