This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excessive memory usage

I was under the impression Kubuntu 6.06 had a minimum memory requirement of 128 - and I have 160.

At boot, it is using 158 at all times, and barely, if at all, using the swap file.

Does this make sense to anyone? Are there some processes I should prevent from loading?

Re: Excessive memory usage

It's supposed to. Empty RAM is wasted RAM: Linux uses spare RAM as disk cache, to speed up disk accesses, until it's needed for program data.

Comment

Linux will use all available ram and free up what is needed as you open apps. This in theory is efficient use of ram and not wasting it by not using it.
      ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

From Kubuntu 6.06 LTS Here for the Long Term
        http://kubuntu.org/announcements/6.06-lts-release.php

Recommended Minimum Requirements:

Install Type Memory Hard Drive Space
        Desktop 256 megabytes 3 gigabytes
        Server 64 megabytes 500 megabytes
        but

Xubuntu needs
        http://www.xubuntu.org/get
        Minimum system requirements

To run the Desktop CD (LiveCD + Install CD), you need 128 MB RAM to run or 192 MB RAM to install. The Alternate Install CD only required you to have 64 MB RAM.

To install Xubuntu, you need 1.5 GB of free space on your hard disk.

Once installed, Xubuntu can run with 64 MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to use at least 128 MB RAM.
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Good to know.

Does it seem I can survive with 160 mb? It's going to be mostly and internet/learn Linux machine, it doesn't have to do anything special.

I got the sys req from a forum, but they didn't mention what build of Kubuntu they were referring to.

Comment

160 MB is fairly slim for KDE. As you try to learn linux, you will have a tougher time than you need because things will run slowly (or poorly). I fear that you'll get a negative impression of Linux. If you insist on installing on an ancient machine, I'd go for a new RAM stick. It will cost a lot less than Vista!

Comment

Nevertheless, I find KDE a more userfriendly GUI than Xfce for example. I'm not discussing the qualities of Xfce, but when you've grown up with Windoze and therefore have become a GUI-slave (like I have), KDE provides you more with an insight in Linux.
              So, my personal suggestion: if you want your machine to fly, follow the advice of askrieger. If you don't want to spend any money, or if you don't mind your computer being slow, stick with KDE. I personally have a much better time now that I'm using Kubuntu than when I was using Xubuntu. To me, it's easier to learn.

Comment

I'm a newbie, too, but I solved a similar problem a while ago. My system is much faster than the one you have, with 1GB of RAM. But, everything was running slow (reminded me of when I tried to put XP on an old Windows 95 machine).

I found the "top" command to run in a shell, and found out what was using system resources. It turns out there was a multimedia program hogging all kinds of resources, and I don't even use that program (sorry, I don't remember what it was). Anyway, I removed it and my system has been as fast as lightning ever since.
                Free = Good

Comment

Working...
                X