This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows to Linux

Hello to all! I am preparing to make the move to Kubuntu from Windows XP, however, several of my day to day activities in Windows include burning DVDs', playing mp3's, editing mp3 and WAV files and downloading torrents. Does anyone have a recomendation on what apps I can use in Kubuntu to do all this?

Also, this may be a dumb question but will I need a firewall and antivirus software for Kubuntu? If so, any recomendations on what apps are better?

Thank you for any help!

Re: Windows to Linux

Originally posted by pancho1181
    Hello to all! I am preparing to make the move to Kubuntu from Windows XP, however, several of my day to day activities in Windows include burning DVDs', playing mp3's, editing mp3 and WAV files and downloading torrents. Does anyone have a recomendation on what apps I can use in Kubuntu to do all this?
    This table will probably help, but I highly recommend K3B, AmaroK, and Audacity. K3B and AmaroK are standard for Kubuntu.

However, MP3 support is not standard, as Kubuntu's dedicated to being free, and MP3 is a proprietary format. For more on how to get proprietary codecs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats

Also, this may be a dumb question but will I need a firewall and antivirus software for Kubuntu? If so, any recomendations on what apps are better?
    You don't need it, but it exists (Firestarter, Guarddog, ClamAV).
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Thanks for the help! I just finished resizing partitions on my hard drive, here I go with the install!

Comment

I just installed Kubuntu 5.10 yesterday, but haven't yet had time to play around with it. I'm interested to know what you think of it.

Comment

For MP3's, try amaroK. Its great. I just started using it when I installed Kubuntu last week, but so far I think it is the best media player that I have seen.

Comment

Smooth so far... man, there's alot of software packages out there, that's nice. I like it, everything is working as expected and the bootloader works seamlessly with Windows, nice fast response to every mouse click too.

Comment

I know alot of linux users use Gimp for photo editing, but I've found digikam to be a great image editing application (dowload pictures from camera, put them in albums, and do simple edits much like Google's Picasa.

Comment

Working...
              X