X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting packages locally

Hey there,

I just moved from fedora core 3 to kubuntu breezy. I 've got a question about package management.

I'd like to have the packages I have installed available offline, so I can install a complete and up-to-date kubuntu box in case of a failing internet connection.

So my questions:

-Do packages (including dependencies) I download with synaptic stay in cache somewhere after they're installed?

-Is there a synaptic or apt-get command to simply download packages and their dependencies without installing them?

-Is there a good tool to mirror kubuntu repositories, or subsets of kubuntu repositories locally?

Many thanks for any usefull info.

A fresh debian/kubuntu convert,
    Jeroen

Re: getting packages locally

This may help.
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Hi Jeroen,

I am a kubuntu convert from Mandrake, but I think I have a few answers for you.  I don't use synaptic, so I can only speak for apt. 

To just download packages, do this:
      apt-get -d install

For finding the best mirror, get the apt-spy package.  It will test the throughput of mirrors and, IIRC, can modify your sources.lst file file for you.

Hope these help!

Paul

Comment

Thanks! I really appreciate your advice. I just finish installing my second kubuntu (I always install 2 of the same OS, so I have one stable and one to play around with). I'll be using your advice as soon as possible.

Thanks again.

Jeroen

Comment

Working...
        X