Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I make my computer boot into Windows by default?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I make my computer boot into Windows by default?

It's actually my mothers work computer.
    I've already tried to manipulate the /boot/grub/menu.lst file, but I cant seem to figure how to do it. Every time I try to manipulate it, it says something like: access not allowed.

I'm new with Linux, so please keep details in mind.

I've got Fiesty Fawn on the computer.
    Thanks a lot

Re: How can I make my computer boot into Windows by default?

How did you tried to edit it?
    I've done that in this way:
    Code:
    sudo -i
    vim /boot/grub/menu.lst
    there is a line "default 0" (or other number)
    The number indicates what entry to load by default, starting with 0 (0 is the first, 1 is the second etc.)

You should change 0 by the number of your Windows entry and save changes (to save type: ESC, :, w).

Comment

You need to assume superuser privileges to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst ! Fortunately, that does not involve telephone booths or blue costumes with capes. All you have to do is to preface your command with the word "sudo", if you're working from a konsole, e.g. "sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst". Or "kdesu", if you're using a graphical editor: Right click on desktop; click "run command"; enter "kdesu kate /boot/grub/menu.lst".

In both cases you will be asked for your password before you're allowed to mess around with a critical system file.

Comment

The last time I tried that, it started Kwrite instead of Kate. No point in getting newbs started with obsolete sw. Also, a gentle introduction to kdesu. Moreover, moving the windoze entry is not a good idea. He's much better off doing it by following skipper's advice on the change to make (if not on the use of vim).

Comment

Working...
        X