Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partial Internet connection (I know it sounds crazy...)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partial Internet connection (I know it sounds crazy...)

Hi all,
    I installed Kubuntu 7.04 a few days ago on a 40G partition on my PC and I have a realy strange problem. I can connect to Google (and search...), I can also connect to a few other sites and I can ping all sites with good statistics. I can not connect to almost all sites (for example - CNN.com,kubuntu.org) I also can't install anything and cannot use Ktorrent. Youtube.com opens only partially, up to ~50% (!!!!!) and I waited allot and tried many times.

I took my computer to a friend's house and there I had no problem, Internet worked fine. I installed Firefox there and went back home to see if things look different then with the default browser. No change, Even with youtube that opens only partially.

Important: I have Windows installed on the same computer and, when working in Windows, the Internet works fine. Additionally, with Kubuntu version 6.06.1 LTS running from the live cd, the Internet worked fine.

General info:
    CPU - Intel Pentium 2.4.
    Network Adapter - 3Com Gigabit LOM (3C940).
    Network setup: Modem/router - ECI B-FOCUS Router 270 connected a switch or a simple hub (same results).

I spent a few days trying to find the problem and found nothing. I'm writing now from windows since I can't connect to kubuntuforums.net from Kubuntu (very frustrating >).

I'm out of ideas and hoping you can help.
    Thanks.

Re: Partial Internet connection (I know it sounds crazy...)

I'm wondering if your domain name server is set up properly. It may be that your ISP (like mine) only supports windoze and macs. For test purposes, please follow the instructions that you find on this page except change the word "gedit" to "kate" (gedit is the Gnome editor). If your internet connection works then you can use the same instructions to get connected to the domain name servers of your own ISP, or you can stay with OpenDNS. Personally, I use it all the time.

If your /etc/resolv.conf file was pointing to the correct DNS server, then perhaps your network isn't set up properly in Kubuntu. What do you see when you run the konsole command "ifconfig"?

Modification: Did you do your pinging with domain names or with numerical addresses? If you get good pings with domain names, then your dns server is working properly.

Comment

I ran the pings with domain names. Does'nt seem like a DNS problem.

Comment

I don’t know if this will help, but problems like this from a Windows standpoint are often caused by an incorrect MTU value, it might also apply to a Linux installation. It might be worth looking at the value in both Windows and Kubuntu and see if there is a mismatch.

I found this link http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-3985.html
        That has some ideas on setting the MTU value in Ubuntu and it might work in Kubuntu but I have never had the problem so never tried.

Regards, Pendragon.

Comment

Working...
        X