X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't get my wireless to work :(

Hey folks,
    I just formatted my HDD and installed the latest version of Kubuntu after getting fed up with Windoze, so I'm a complete newbie to Linux.
    Unfortunately, I literally have just spent 3 or 4 hours trying to set up the Wireless with limited success >< I'd be very greatful for any help you could give me, because I'm really starting to get fed up.

I'm trying to network my PC upstairs to the Windows XP machine I'm using now, through a Belkin 2.4ghz 802.11g wireless router (the router is connected to the Windows PC), but when starting to connect for the first time am either getting to 28% most of the time, and sometimes getting to 57% on the progress bar at which point it just disconnects.

I was wondering if perhaps it could be to do with poor connectivity. When I was running XP I couldn't download big files because of corruption that I think was caused by the wireless.

I understand that it'll be hard for anyone to really visualise what I am doing or what is going wrong and I couldn't find any howtos that were relevant, so in that respect I don't know if people can help, but I really don't know what to do

Perhaps I missing something obvious? Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any help that you can give me ^^

Here's what I know:
    Workgroup
    WEP Network Key
    IP (Windows Machine)
    Default Gateway (Windows Machine)
    Subnet Mask (Windows Machine)
    network uses DHCP

Re: I can't get my wireless to work

Your default gateway should be the ip address of the router. If you set it up for DHCP it should find the connection.

eriefisher
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

I have tried to set it up using DHCP, but I only seem to get so far and then it disconnects. I'm going to bring my computer downstairs tomorrow, to see if it's a problem with signal strength. It is strange though, because it worked fine with XP. Will see what happens, cheers

Comment

In system settings-network settings-routes tab set the default gateway for your wireless device.

eriefisher
        ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

I've gone to 192.168.2.1 on this machine, which is the Routers IP address and got all the information, printed it off and entered it in along with the default gateway as you said, but now the thing isn't even picking up the wireless at all, so I'm completely confused ^^

Also, I can ping this machine from the upstairs one, but I can't ping my machine from this one. ><

Still, I'm keeping optimistic. I think the benefits of open source will be worth it. Thanks for your help, but I feel it's probably just general ignorance on my part. I'll sleep on it

Comment

Please take a look at this page at the Ubuntu Community Help Wiki. It has more than you need to know about wireless and should be afraid to ask.

Comment

This is my typing from my Linux machine, huzzah!
              Yeah, I feel a bit silly now ^^ Probably should have searched some more, but I was just really frustrated and had to keep going between computers Well, anyway, there's a couple of things I didn't know how to do before I started that I can do now, so useful little endeavour.
              Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Working...
              X