This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

protection

I'm currently running no virus or spyware protection. And I use my kubuntu OS 98% of the time. I figure it is only a matter of time until I attract some linux based malware; virus or spyware. What protective measure should I take? I use avast on my windows OSes, and like their product. Do I need to keep it up and constantly scanning, or just use it when I suspect a virus. What else should I use for spyware protection? Or is linux spyware unheard of?
    Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Re: protection

I figure it is only a matter of time until I attract some linux based malware; virus or spyware.
    That's true, but it's probably a long time. I have 4 boxes running Linux (2 continuously) and I have NEVER had any (detectable) malware. I have had a variety of attacks but none of them have succeeded. Kubuntu is more robust than some other Linux distros because it uses the "sudo" mechanism (as does Apple OS-X), and also because Kubuntu keeps all internet ports closed by default, but in general, most malware is written for windoze and just doesn't work on Linux. Of course, you're still subject to phishing and email scams. And don't even consider unencrypted wireless. However, if you don't have a hardware firewall with up-to-date firmware between your home computer and the web, you should probably install a software firewall. The Linux standard is "iptables". Please see this Ubuntu Community Help Wiki page and the references therein.

Comment

HA HA HA

I got a virus on my vista partition today. I noticed something odd because my kubuntu OS wouldn't mount the NTFS partition and said it was dirty. So I loaded up vista, updated Avast and Funny how kubuntu found the virus (or something amiss anyway) on the NTFS partition, but I had to update Avast in order for Vista to find anything amiss.

BTW the infection was "Win32:AniExploit"

Comment

Isn't it wonderful how M$ developed Vista to be secure out of the box with no need for those pesky anitvirus software companies that spread malicious propaganda about windoze vulnerabilities!

Comment

Originally posted by Ant2ne
          HA HA HA

I got a virus on my vista partition today. I noticed something odd because my kubuntu OS wouldn't mount the NTFS partition and said it was dirty. So I loaded up vista, updated Avast and Funny how kubuntu found the virus (or something amiss anyway) on the NTFS partition, but I had to update Avast in order for Vista to find anything amiss.

BTW the infection was "Win32:AniExploit"
          All I have to say is L O L
          Billy should pick up his money and retire......

MepisReign
          Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

Originally posted by MepisReign
            All I have to say is L O L
            Billy should pick up his money and retire......

MepisReign
            He did, didn't he? I got free MS products from school. As a CNET student. So he didn't get it from me this time. =)

Comment

Working...
            X